cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Any reported issues with the paint on the Co-op Cycles DRT 4.1 fat tire bike?

Anyone else with the Co-op Fat Bike having issues with paint? It seems to chip really easy. I've had my bike up and running a week and have only gone around the neighborhood with my daughter so far. I have found 3 chips in the paint exposing the aluminum. This was after I accidentally dropped a small allen wrench from like 2 inches above the frame and it chipped the paint as well. Something doesn't seem very well done here and I'm not sure what this means for the longevity of the frame. I've never seen this before with a bike. I know it will get eaten up on the trails with the tires kicking up small rocks here and there. 

0 Likes
5 Replies

@Jon_R Thanks for reaching out and we're sorry to hear you're having this issue with your bike.

I also own the DRT 4.1 and have been riding it for several months now on lots of varied terrain, some pretty rugged (roots and rocks), but also a lot of gravel trails. I haven't seen any issues with paint chipping, in spite of transporting our bikes leaning on each other in the bed of a truck (not ideal). We have also not heard any feedback about this issue in reviews or questions on the product page. We have a couple of users here in the community, @ryanjohnson and @HankG, who also have this bike and may be able to provide some perspective on their experience as well.

The good news is that while a small paint chip may be unsightly, it is unlikely to cause serious damage to your frame or compromise the structural integrity of the tubing. If you are interested in a home repair, you can use a RAL color chart (one should be available at your local paint shop) to select the closest color to your bike and order some touch up paint. We use Pantone for most of our colors, however their color chart is more difficult to track down.

You'll want to clean the area with isopropyl alcohol to make sure to remove any traces of grease or oil before applying the touch up paint (glossy nail polish can also work in a pinch if you can find the right color). If you'd like, once you've applied enough coats of paint and allowed it to dry, you can lightly sand it down with a small piece of high grit sand paper to smooth it out.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@REI-JohnJ  Thanks for the quick response.

Since the paint on this bike is matte and not glossy, I think it may be hard to find something that doesn't look off. I can try for sure. I just found it really odd that a bike would chip so easy and wondered if something could have not gone right in the painting process with mine? No clue. It's just tough to swallow spending that much money on a bike to have this happen for really no reason. That allen wrench should have never been able to chip the paint. It looks like the chain may have caused 2 other chips, but that would've had to have happened during assembly as the chain has never touched the frame since it's been home. No clue as to how the chip on the post got there, but I can only assume something hit it when I rode on the canal path for a couple miles. 

I do know it's cosmetic, but I also don't want a new bike covered in touch up paint all over it in the first few months I have it. Just bummed out a bit.

0 Likes

@Jon_R @REI-JohnJ  Hi guys.  No paint issues so far with my orange beauty.  And I wish you well with a small repair.   OTOH I’m at a point in life that I wear dings and paint scratches as badges of honor.
my only gripe with my 4.1 is the handlebars are too darn wide.  I used a stem riser, put better bar end grips on recommended by REI, and cut ‘em down.   Better.  Plan to cut down a little more and if that doesn’t get me comfortable enough I’ll be trying a Jones bar, the one with 2.5” rise.  
enjoy the bike

ill want to circle back and get peoples opinions on tire pressure when the snow starts.
hank  

0 Likes

@REI-JohnJ  Would you by chance know the name of the Pantone color that was used for the bike? or could you find out? That would help me get the right color pallate to take somewhere.

Thanks!!

Jon

0 Likes

@Jon_R 

We'll connect with this team and follow up with you via DM. Thanks in advance for your patience!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.