cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Adult 3 wheel / Tricycle for my father

Hi all, I’m looking for a tricycle for my father. He turned 90 yesterday and is still very active. My son is just learning to ride and they would like to do this together. Schwinn Meridian seems like a great bike but, with gears (probably beat in Asheville), they’re close to $1000. I need stability and quality for him to be comfortable. No gears is better than something less stable.  Any suggestions on a good bike??

3 Replies

@SJCJ Thanks for reaching out!

What a cool idea to help your dad and son spend time outside together! While REI doesn't carry any tricycles, we have had customers bring them into our shop so we do have some familiarity with them. In terms of stability, the smaller the wheels the better. Many tricycles come with 26" or 24" wheels, however, a bike like the Raleigh Tristar 3-Speed Tricycle might worth looking at for your dad. It has a 24" wheel in the front, and two 20" wheels in the back, which will help lower the center of gravity of the bike and make it more stable. It also has an internal geared hub which makes upkeep easy. Unfortunately, it does not look like it is currently available to order directly from Raleigh, however, you may be able to find one through your local Diamondack/Raleigh dealer.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

I am also interested in an adult tricycle for a friend who has limited mobility and cannot manage a two-wheel bike. She wants to use it for getting to the grocery store and errands on Pittsburgh's Southside. I could not find any local Diamondack/Raleigh dealers in the Pittsburgh area. Do you have any other recommendations for bike shops that might have a suitable option for checking out tricycles?

0 Likes

Hi @tammylws - Thanks for reaching out!

While trying to find some local dealerships for you, we noticed that the Tristar 3-Speed and various other tricycles are currently out of stock on Raleigh's website and at many of their retailers. We suggest calling them to see if they can share their tricycles' future availability with you and where they expect them to be carried. Raleigh's Customer Service team can be reached at 1 (800) 251-8435. 

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes