cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

400 lbs capacity bike

I am looking for a Fat Bike or a bike that will hold up to 400 lbs. Can you recommend one please.

Thank you,

Benito.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Blucero80 Thanks for reaching out!

Congrats on looking for a new bike! I have been riding a fat bike for the last four years and it is the most fun I have ever had on a bicycle! Unfortunately, REI doesn't carry any bicycles that are specifically 'rated' to hold up to 400 lbs. But that doesn't mean we don't have any options for you! However, there are a few things to bear in mind when thinking about purchasing a new bike that is going to carry a load close to 400 lbs. As a bigger guy myself (~325 lbs), I have put well over 350 lbs of me and my gear onto a Cannondale Fat Caad 2 fat bike and an REI Co-op Cycles DRT 2.1 mountain bike, neither of which are 'rated' to carry that amount of weight. In terms of safety and the bike's ability to hold that much weight, it is really going to depend on the style of riding you are planning on doing. If you're looking to ride on pavement for fitness or commuting, either of the above bikes will likely perform just fine. If you're wanting to go off trail and use the bike on terrain that is going to create impact and shock forces on the bike then you will likely need to look outside of REI for a bike specifically designed for that type of use under that weight. I will add that being as heavy as I am has upped the maintenance on my bicycles, I have needed to change my brake pads and rear cog as well as having a barely discernible wobble in my front wheel (likely from dropping off a curb or hitting a log when my bike was fully loaded). I've included a pic of me and my fat bike below to help keep up the stoke for fat biking!

I hope this helps, best of luck and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions!

John

Frank The Tank.jpg

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
4 Replies

@Blucero80 Thanks for reaching out!

Congrats on looking for a new bike! I have been riding a fat bike for the last four years and it is the most fun I have ever had on a bicycle! Unfortunately, REI doesn't carry any bicycles that are specifically 'rated' to hold up to 400 lbs. But that doesn't mean we don't have any options for you! However, there are a few things to bear in mind when thinking about purchasing a new bike that is going to carry a load close to 400 lbs. As a bigger guy myself (~325 lbs), I have put well over 350 lbs of me and my gear onto a Cannondale Fat Caad 2 fat bike and an REI Co-op Cycles DRT 2.1 mountain bike, neither of which are 'rated' to carry that amount of weight. In terms of safety and the bike's ability to hold that much weight, it is really going to depend on the style of riding you are planning on doing. If you're looking to ride on pavement for fitness or commuting, either of the above bikes will likely perform just fine. If you're wanting to go off trail and use the bike on terrain that is going to create impact and shock forces on the bike then you will likely need to look outside of REI for a bike specifically designed for that type of use under that weight. I will add that being as heavy as I am has upped the maintenance on my bicycles, I have needed to change my brake pads and rear cog as well as having a barely discernible wobble in my front wheel (likely from dropping off a curb or hitting a log when my bike was fully loaded). I've included a pic of me and my fat bike below to help keep up the stoke for fat biking!

I hope this helps, best of luck and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions!

John

Frank The Tank.jpg

@REI-JohnJ Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will use the bike for pavement till I lose enough weight. So now I have an idea.

Thanks,

Benito.

@Blucero80 

You are so welcome. Whatever bike you choose, best of luck on your journey! Riding bikes is the best!

The Surly Big Dummy is rated to a max weight of 400lbs for rider and gear.  The Surly Troll rides on 26" x 2" wheels and is rated to 355 total.  It's not a bad idea to have a wheel builder upgrade your wheelset.  A 26" wheel with the most spokes available can be extremely strong.  I'm going to assume that you've already found your new bike so my response is for the next guy who asks this question.  Companies who build equipment aren't looking to create liability by stating that it's fine to exceed weight limits but if the frame is built for touring and your wheels are rock solid, you're pretty safe to pedal on smooth surfaces for some excellent steady state cardio.  

Enjoy the ride,

Andy

0 Likes