cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Your Most Thrilling Feat During a Technical Climbing Activity?

“Patient aspirating in a Stokes Litter, during a vertical descent or ascent evacuation procedure”.

If the Patient aspirates, while secured to the Stokes Litter during the vertical descent or ascent evacuation, the accompanying Idaho EMS Back Country Medical Rescue Team member will flip the Stokes Litter upside down, towards him/her self, resulting in the Patient being suspended upside down, secured in place by the “shoe laced” and double overhand knotted, 50’ x 1” nylon tubular webbing, as to enable the BCMRT member to clear the Patient’s airway.

No extra charge to the Patient for this procedure. 

11 Replies

I don't have any feats that are that noteworthy, but I can recall one time that gave me an unexpected adventure. It happened when I was climbing Weaver's Needle (Arizona) one hot August afternoon with my partner. At the top of this spire there are two small places to pitch tents (so one can sleep at the top). We did just that, but woke up in the middle of the night to a maelstrom of a storm around us (thanks, summer monsoons). As such, we had to quickly abandon ship, rappelling down a pitch and hunker down in our bivvy sacks at the edge of the cliff in order to wait out the storm. It was quite a long night, but led to one of the most beautiful desert mornings I have seen!

Weaver's NeedleWeaver's Needle

Post-monsoon morning view from the summitPost-monsoon morning view from the summit

Tent site at the summitTent site at the summit

Daybreak at Weaver's NeedleDaybreak at Weaver's Needle

www.brynsharpphotography.com

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

that is so awesome!  I did a backpacking loop around that area 3yrs ago, saw the needle, never go real close, absolutely beautiful area!

https://youtu.be/scL-Vvg8dwY

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
5 DAYS 4 NIGHTS BACKPACKING SUPERSTITION WILDERNESS. PERALTA TRAIL HEAD. BLUFF SPRINGS, LEBARGE SPRINGS, KANE SPRING, CHARLEBOIS SPRING.