cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Share your favorite place to rappel!

Hi there, I hope you all are having a great day! I was curious to know what everyone's favorite place to rappel is and why?

Stay true, Stay wild!
Labels (1)
11 Replies

@WildBeard  curious to know where your favorite spot is?

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Being in m y eighth decad, my climbing has slowed way down, but i still occasionally rappel when necessary to retrieve paleontological or archaeological material from exposed cliff faces (there are a lot of those on the Channel Islands (USA).

Right now I am instructing successors, because I won't be doing this forever.

Some years ago (fifty, more or less, I was involved in archaeological projects at Canyon de Chelly which (sob! oh the agony...) often required climbing and rappelling on low grade sandstone.  I routinely carried at least sixty feet of climbing rope (and often more - up to six hundred feet) for various projects.

The rap rig was minimalist - the rope and my tender body - the old fashioned body rappel has its advantages - extremely light weight an easy to assume