cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Crampons recommendation

Hello,

I recently purchased a pair of Salewa Crow GTX mountaineering boots from REI and I’m wondering if anyone can recommend a pair of crampons that work well with this boot. I’m interested in both hiking crampons and ice climbing crampons. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, William

0 Likes
8 Replies

Most crampons are adjustable to fit a wide variety of boots.  if you have a local REI you might find guidance there.  Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills, 8th edition (50th Anniversary), pages 324-328 has good guidelines for fitting crampons

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

@hikermor Thanks, with out a doubt the best option would be to bring the boots to REI and try clipping on a pair or two. I will also check out the Freedom of the Hills guildlines. I hope that they have something online. 👏🏼👏🏼

0 Likes

@Hallworks you might take a look at the petzl lynx (https://www.rei.com/product/100170/petzl-lynx-leverlock-modular-crampons). While I don't have them, I know people that are happy with them for a mix of glacier travel and ice climbing.

PDB
he/him/his
0 Likes

Thanks Patrick, I will be sure to check these out!

0 Likes

Really recommend cable bindings as opposed to strapped.

So much easier to deal with when wearing gloves and your hands are/were freezing.

good luck 

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

02 10Aug1990.jpg

03 10Aug1990.jpg

10 11Aug1990.jpg

32 11Aug1990.jpg

34 12Aug1990.jpg

36 12Aug1990.jpg

252DBB19-CC8C-444A-A6B0-376A9FE3DCC1.jpeg

0 Likes

@Philreedshikes wow impressive! I was not aware that there was something like this available! Do they still make cable bindings like this? Where are you at in the pictures?

Thanks, William

0 Likes

In Zermat Switzerland, climbing the monta rosa(dufourspitz) and Matterhorn (the pointy one in the background) crossing the gorner grot glacier to get to the climbers hut on the monta rosa (the monta ross hut)

0 Likes