cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Climbing rope. I have an older climbing rope.

I have an older climbing rope. I have stored it well and it has not had any severe falls. Is there a way to verify that it is still a trust worthy rope?

0 Likes
9 Replies

How old is old.  Are you the sole owner and user?  What are the specifics of "stored well".  How worn is the sheath?  Any lumps or irregularities? How much use has the rope received (days of climbing)?

In the end, if you don't feel confident that the rope has adequate strength, replace it.  Rope is cheap compared to human life....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Rope is cheap compared to human life.... is a good answer.

0 Likes

When you say "stored well", has it been exposed to sunlight? Fluctuating, perhaps extreme, temperatures? Insects or rodents? Assuming it's a modern rope, if it has been stored at reasonable temperature, not subjected to sunlight or any kind of chemicals, and not obviously physically damaged, it's probably fine.

Personally, I would check with the manufacturer as to proper storage requirements.

And, as has been said before, if in doubt, replace it.

0 Likes

I guess I had a DUH moment. Checking with the manufacturer is probably the best and most logical solution.

0 Likes

Interesting that none of has stated the industry mantra - "replace after ten years, even with no use".  Color me dubious - this sounds like n excellent way to boost sales.  I understand there are tests by Black Diamond and others which show no degradation after ten years of good storage - the key is proper storage - no sunlight, chemical fumes or substances, etc. and proper care when used (don't step on the rope!)With no moree feedback from the OP, we will have to leave it - replace when you no longer have confidence in it or there are ovious signs of damage/degradation.  I don't know of any test or testing facility that doesn't involve destruction of at lest part of the rope

0 Likes

Oops!!  I see the OP did respond....

0 Likes

too many unknowns to make a call... how old, how many falls?, etc

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Bought the rope back in the 70's. Guess the rope is too old. Looks nice and plenty of nostalgia with it.

0 Likes

Hey there..i just saw this post and wanted to chime in...i have a rope i won at a comp in '86 i still use for top roping...it looks fine, inspection looks good. I know the history. That being said i don't lead on it anymore because it's old...but i feel fine about tope roping on it..  I've never been into hangdogging so it still looks new...but i don't feel good about taking lead falls on it...the possibilty of whippers is nerve racking enough with a newer rope. Not worth it to me. 

0 Likes