cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Climbing Grand Teton

Hi all,

So I am planning a trip back to Grand Teton national park to summit The Grand. I am a very good hiker, but a beginner at rock climbing. I live in NJ. Looking for an experienced climber  to join me and a few others on the trip! We would like to summit the Grand and then hike the rim route and some other trails. Let me know if you’re interested! 

0 Likes
4 Replies

That might cost you...

0 Likes

I just perused the NPS website of Grand Teton. Even a brief reading is interesting, namely that failure to use an ice axe in self arrest is a lading cause of accidents and fatalities.  I have never been anywhere near the Grand, but I do have a fair amount of high mountain experience and there is far more involved than the skills required for hiking and rock climbing, although they are a good foundation.

There are two guide services for Grand Teton.  I would suggest you inquire - it won't be cheap, but it will most likely be safe and successful, and with a decent guide you will learn a lot.

Best wishes for a successful and worthwhile experience!!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

thanks or your thoughts! yea even with a group f three the guide services are 930/pp. ouch! But that is cheaper than alpine extraction by the park service and a funeral !

0 Likes

I don't believe there is a charge by the NPS for rescue services, athough there have been fines for extremely stupid, and usually illegal behavior.  In fact, this is the case in all the jurisdictions with which I am familiar (Arizona and California).  Do you know for a fact that rescue services at Grand Teton are billed?

The funeral is a different story of course and it would be nice to aviod, but it seems inevitable, one way or another....

Looks like you have already checked out guide services.  That is definitely a significant charge.  What all is covered?

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes