cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Cleaning your Rope

Cleaning our climbing rope is one of those things that we think about doing, but may rarely do. As a PCGI guide in Joshua Tree, CA having dependable & trustworthy gear is a top priority for me. Having clean equipment also makes clients feel safer. I am trying the Sterling Rope soap to wash my rope. What soaps have you had good success with & how often do you wash your rope?

0 Likes
2 Replies

Hey @Pcgiguide ,  Great question and one I am interested to hear form others on!

I have used Tech Wash in the past before I switched to Edelwiess Rope Wash this past year.  I have never used a machine to wash the ropes just my hand in a tub with some elbow grease.  I feel like I see  more dirt come out with the Edelwiess Rope Wash, but I might have just been getting my ropes dirtier that particular season.  As to the frequency, I dont have a set schedule or count of climbs, if I find that my hands are a bit dirty (almost a black soot / film) from packing my rope up I make a mental note to clean them.  But I dont climb as much as I would like so lately its been every other season. It should be noted I only have dry core / dry sheath ropes in my rack and my experience in cleaning them is limited to that style rope. 

I hope this helps.  Please report back to how the Sterling Wash works for you!! 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I didn’t notice a big difference with the sterling rope wash. I did do it in my washing machine as suggested without the agitator in the middle. I have seen a rope brush, but they have always seemed expensive for what they are. Has anyone used one, and was it worth it do you think?

0 Likes