cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

An ordinary lady trying to climb a bit harder...

Hi all, 

I learned to climb about 5 years ago at age 48 and now at 53, am trying to up my game by leading. Working with a partially torn RTC on my dominant shoulder, but I think the biggest thing is..."Can I do this? Should I push myself (through this confirmed injury). Will I look silly on the wall next to the young lovelies in their sports bras that cross perfectly in the back? 

Yet...When I am encouraged, and able to focus...what an amazing thing thing it is to work through, and finally climb a route! No treadmill and gym machines can ever be as fun...

Thanks for by and large being welcoming!

Traci S. 

0 Likes
7 Replies

Good morning @Traciradchick , and welcome to this Community!

Congrats on your accomplishments so far, and kudos for your tenacity!  

I completely get what you are experiencing. I'm in a similar situation. I'm 56, just had open-heart surgery in the Spring, and just started climbing a couple months ago.  I had the same reservations about looking silly compared to those more accomplished veterans, but have found that everyone I've encountered has been welcoming, encouraging and helpful.  Not judgmental at all.  And you're right...it's great fun and a huge feeling of accomplishment when you "beat" a route.

Good luck and keep it up! 

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

To start a sport, new or from the past, after a major health event, shows great perseverance; something that will serve you well in climbing…you rock! 

Thanks @Traciradchick !  I appreciate the support!

"Rock"  Get it?  Pun intended?  LOL  😁

Don't worry about the young lovelies etc....Climbing achievements are deeply personal and not subject to crowd approval....

Climb your own climb, seek appropriate challenges in nature and avoid crowded gyms, which have some utility when working on technique, but should not be confused with climbing on real rock exposed to the natural elements and conditions.

Be reasonable about your gimpy shoulder and don't stress it to the point of reinjury.  PT may be appropriate as you strive for goals.  Best wishes!!!

Can you tell I am hopelessly trad?  There is lots of good stuff ahead of you, being about the age of my oldest daughter.

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I am lucky enough to know at least 3 ladies in their 60’s here in Spokane who climb gracefully…I am just inspired by you all! Trad is something I’ve never really tried; but you never know…Climb on Sister! 

0 Likes

Have you read "The Sharp End of Life" by Dierdre Wolownick?  It's by Alex Honnold's mom who started climbing in her 60s.  She makes her famous son take her climbing. 

I am going to reread…I love inspirational stories! 

0 Likes