cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Cincinnati Backpacking- East For State Park

I know this may be a long shot, but does anybody have experience backpacking around the Cincinnati area?  Recently moved here from Southern California and looking for a winter backpacking trip (2-3 nights) that is a CONVENIENT drive for me (no more than 2 hours from Cinci).  I have found that East Fork State Park has a ~15 mile and ~30 mile trail, and it is about 45 minutes from where I live....any other recommendations?  I realize I'm limiting myself geographically, but just looking to get out on the trail in my new area!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes
2 Replies

@tadoerner Great question!

We reached out to our team in Cincinnati and did some digging online as well and came up with a couple of suggestions for you. Additionally, @CarlR just asked a similar question in their post, Looking for a good multi day hike in Kentucky, so we thought we could connect them here as well as there is a lot of overlap. Here is what we came up with:

Hopefully this helps, don't hesitate to come back here in the community and tell us about your adventures!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Second the recommendation for Red River Gorge.  It is really easy for dispersed camping- you just have to stop in at the gas station right off the mountain parkway to grab a permit to hang in your car.  Its been getting pretty crowded on the weekends though, so weekdays might be better if you are looking for any solitude.  You might also try to get one of the Outragis map sets that show the unofficial trails (we always pair with Alltrails so we can see where we actually are on the map as we go, as it can be easy to get turned around).

Join the community
Other boards in this category