cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Hiking in the Shenandoah's

I've been wanting to get out and do day hikes in the Shenandoah area, but don't really know where good day hikes can be found.  Looking for easy to moderate day hikes (loops) with moderate exertion.  

I've registered with MEETUP looking for others who share an interest in doing day hikes, but haven't really found any group so far that matches up with what I'm looking for.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

5 Replies

I used to live near SNP and enjoyed some day hiking there, but at that time, even using guidebooks, it was difficult to find circuit or loop day hikes. I did some day hikes on the AT but often had to hike one way and then halfway turn around and  retrace my steps. The AT through SNP, however, is nice and I highly recommend it. If you have not yet hike to the top of Old Rag, put it on your bucket list. I found it more challenging than I expected.

aka "Boonerelli"

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll have to look into all that.

Happy Trails!

Keith R.

0 Likes

What are you looking for?  I recommend you pick up the SNP map set.  It lists what seems like hundreds of hikes and variations.

Where do you live in relation to SNP?  I ask because the surrounding NF(s), including WV, provide equal if not greater opportunities.

In SNP, almost every single parking area is adjacent to a trail system, some of the main areas are adjacent to trails to popular waterfalls and overlooks.

Driving down Skyline Drive or the Blue Ridge Parkway (across I64) puts you just feet off the AT, with it's endless trail network.

hikingupward.com is a good resource for hikes in the area.

good luck!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Thank you for the suggestions.  I'll pick up a copy of the SNP map and check out hiking upward.com!

Regards,

Keith R.

There are books that list and describe hikes that can be done in SNP. 

0 Likes
Join the community
Other boards in this category