cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What is my tent made of?

My quarter dome tent fly has gone all sticky! 
Ive been reading all the threads about how to possibly rejuvenate the fly, and they all say it’s important to know whether the tent is lined with a silicone or polyurethane coating, to ensure I don’t buy the wrong product.
but no one at rei or on the boards seems to know what my quarter dome is lined with!
Can anyone tell me? And tell me therefore what product I should buy?

many thanks!

0 Likes
4 Replies

You'll need to check the year and then REI: 

https://www.rei.com/product/110819/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-2-tent

New one is Nylon....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Contact the manufacturer of the tent/fly directly online. 

If the tent/fly is privately branded, request they forward your inquiry to the tent/fly manufacturer, or at least provide you the manufacturers’ name, so you can contact them directly. 

0 Likes

Almost certainly PU.  Silicone does not degrade like that as far as I know.  But I'm guessing.

I don't think REI has used Sil Nylon or Sil Poly much in their tents maybe because they are more expensive materials to use I suspect partly because of the need to use silicone sealer to seam seal them which may be a more difficult process.  Stuff doesn't stick to silicone.

If it doesn't say on the tent's information tag, I would call REI Customer Service to be sure.  You may need to know which version of the Quarter Dome it is or the year it was made/sold probably.  Tents with that name have evolved a fair amount over the years and REI update their spec's as time goes on.  The chat link and phone number are at the bottom of every page.

0 Likes

There should be a tag in the tent which lists the materials. However, in my experience if it's sticky it's probably polyurethane.

Unless you're really attached to the tent, I recommend looking around at new or slightly used tents before trying to "rejuvenate" the fly. You're not going to get the same results re-coating the fabric as they did at the factory, and it's going to be a bit of work and expense. For not much more, you could probably buy something better.

Or, if the fabric is still waterproof, just live with the stickiness.

0 Likes