cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Top Backpacking Luxury Items

I'd love to hear about your favorite luxury items when backpacking -- things that add a bit of extra comfort to your experience.

For me,  an inflatable camp pillow is my favorite. I went without for many years, choosing to stuff my clothing into a stuff sack as a makeshift pillow. For those of you who have done that, you know it's almost always less than comfortable!

Another favorite is the Nite-Ize "SpotLit" in Disco-O flavor...perfect little tent or hammock illumination. 

Let's hear your favorites!

7 Replies

Miniature dark chocolate bars. Anticipation plus effort plus savoring? So good.

Agreement on the pillow. A lot of the 'optional' things like that are simply solutions to things that annoyed me consistently for years before I relented on being stubborn.

For cold-weather camping, I bring a pair of wool socks that's impractically thick. No way they'd fit in shoes. Really amps up the cozy.

It's not for me, but several people I know invest the effort into summit beers or ciders or even gin & tonics. As long as people are careful with things like dehydration and altitude, more power to 'em! Spoil yourself a little.

A little **bleep** of something around the campfire used to be part of my regular backpacking routine. These days, I'd rather splurge the weight and bulk  on something to make my sleep even cozier. I think I'll add some mini chocolate bars to my food bag next trip, too! 

0 Likes

REI flex-lite chair!  While I would not take this on a long thru hike, Its DEFINITELY the best luxury item that I take backpacking.  Sure, it weighs a pound and a half, but when I dont have to carry my bear vault, there is still a net savings in weight.  Nothing beats that chair with its back support after a long day on the trail.  The sub-7 hammock is a nother great option when coupled with the Helios Ultralight straps.  The whole set up comes in under 12 oz.

I just bought the Helinox Chair Zero for this very purpose. Haven't taken it backpacking yet, but I already dig the comfort this lightweight chair provides after a long day of snorkeling at the beach. 

I love having a pillow. It's one of the small things that makes backpacking more enjoyable.

I like the GSI JavaPress.  Excellent coffee wherever I can heat water.  

All about the backpacking Eggs Bene with a JetBoil! On 2 or 3 night remote trips I like to pack in a couple of eggs, an English muffin, some fake-bacon, a pouch of dehydrated hollandaise sauce, a little salt & pep, and a packet of gas station hotsauce. Order of opperations: heat the muffin on the JB flame follwed by the "bacon", heat water to boil, remove pot from heat for swirl and poach method (takes some practice) with a refire if needed, pull out eggs and pop in the sauce pouch for 4 mins. Serve with box of tiny orange juice and mini champagne bottle. Voila, you've gone from backpacking to glamping! 

0 Likes