cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Car Camping

I have never been much of a car camper with the exception of car camping at Assateague and The Outer Banks, preferring instead to enjoy Backpacking. That might be about to change. 

I recently enjoyed three days and two nights car camping in the Mongahelia National Forest. The NFS campground not onky offered a tent pad, picnic table, fire grate, water pump, and outhouse, but also served as a jumping off point for a couple day hikes. These day hikes were just a couple minutes away from the campground but hours away from my home. With many more trails and possible day hikes near that campground, I think I will be retuirning the next time I get a few days off.

aka "Boonerelli"

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
14 Replies

Agreed, with the only argument being that most car accidents occur close to home, not on far way trips.

aka "Boonerelli"

In order of use, I camped at Red Creek in Dolly Sods, Seneca Shadows, Spruce Knob Lake, Laurel Fork, and Tea Creek.  Each had its plusses and minuses but all were great experiences. I had camped at Red Creek and Tea Creek before, but the others were new to me. I picked them because they were close to areas where i wanted to day hike. In some cases, I did not even have to drive to the the trail head because it was right next to the campground, as at Red Creek, Laurel Fork, and Tea Creek.  There are many other Campgrounds I want to visit, but I definitely want to return to Laurel Fork and Tea Creek.

aka "Boonerelli"

Best part of car camping is all the great cooking gear you can take!  My wife swears half our load is cooking stuff.  She's dead wrong, it's more like 60%.

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978

60%? Amateur! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

You’re absolutely right though. I’ve done steaks at home via sous vide and brought them in a cooler and seared them at the site. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

https://youtu.be/oL4rjOPLvbs

I love car camping to get closer to trailheads- for me its more about getting close to my backpack/hike destination than it is about getting outside. But for some car camping is the best - either way enjoy your time outside!

Van tour of a Honda Fit full camper, sleeps two with great gas mileage. Full tour of van kitchen, camping food, sleeping and storage. Instagram: @speakingqui...
0 Likes