cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Tent pole configuration on REI Quarter Dome T1

I have a REI Quarter Dome T1 I purchased new in 2015. The shock cord for the tent poles rotted and now I can’t figure out the configuration to get it back together with new shock cord. Does anyone have this tent where they could reply with a photo of the tent poles bound in the shock cord?  The little pivot plastic piece plus the anchor piece midway on the silver pole makes this unusually difficult. 

Mostly boating and thinking about fishing, sometimes fishing and thinking about boating...
19 Replies

Generally tent pole sets are made up of a number of identical pieces and one or two specialized lengths.  Assuming that, it shouldn't be too hard to deduce where the special pieces go given you only have two pole and they are color coded.

Perhaps posting a picture of the poles and pieces you have might help?

That's the rub...  You would think this would be easy with similar sized segments - here's some pictures as this is not that way.  Here's a couple of pictures that I just took (I think it takes a while for them to show up so thanks for your patience in helping me out).  The orange pole is straight forward enough - That cross X piece of plastic will go on there after I figure out the silver pole.  The Silver pole is the puzzle.  One of the two lengths of end piece will go on one side then the bend which will result in the other length end piece on the other side so that's a 50/50 shot but from the REI assembled pic above I am thinking the longer of the two.  I have no idea why there are multiple silver interior segment sizes but that impacts how that other little plastic hold off piece mounts.  Quite the mystery...

(Pictures in next two replies as it was giving me errors to post)

Mostly boating and thinking about fishing, sometimes fishing and thinking about boating...
0 Likes

IMG_0843.jpeg

0 Likes

IMG_0845.jpeg

0 Likes

on the silver pieces...

The ends are obvious. 

The curved piece fits on one of the end pieces.  Which can be deduced from how it fits around the tent body.

My guess is that the longer pieces go where the pole curves the most at the head end (left end in the picture) and the shorter pieces make up the difference.  There are two sizes to make the correct length given the variable curve.

The one holed swivel possibly goes on the end of the orange pole and is how it attaches to the body.  There should be a corresponding piece above the door.  If not then it is probably that hanger attaching the silver pole that is at an angle, 4th along from the foot end (bent pole end) from the picture.

The approximate location of the swivel(s) can be deduce once you have the assembled the poles in the tent body.  My guess is that they locate at joints and are kept in place by the bungee...otherwise you probably would not have them loose.

Thanks - all good insights. I'll post back when I receive my new shock cord and start experimenting.

Oh and this is definitely the correct of the those two choices "If not then it is probably that hanger attaching the silver pole that is at an angle, 4th along from the foot end (bent pole end) from the picture."  I know that from using the tent and the two orange ends use a typical tent eyelet.

0 Likes

@Gregfromga 

You're not going to believe this, but I tapped into some of our amazing folks here with the Co-op Brands gear team and they were able to track down the engineering schematic for your tent! This should be exactly the info you need to get the poles in the right order. I apologize it took us a while to find, thanks for your patience!

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 5.02.00 PM.png

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Pretty much as I suggested so I can give myself a pat on the back and walk around feeling smug this evening 😉

Though I do note that the orange pole in the drawing is backwards from the tent in the picture...or drawn from underneath.

This is incredible!   I am never going to learn my lesson now about having labeled the pole ends before all this happened to avoid this!  Thanks so much. Wow!

@Gregfromga 

Happy to be of service! I’ll pass your appreciation along to the teams who helped us track down the info. It’s okay to label the poles if you want to, we won’t tell anyone. Thanks again, it was a fun quest to find the info!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.