cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Summer blanket in the South

Hi all!  I'm looking for recommendations on a summer blanket I can use during hot, humid Georgia summers while backpacking up to 7 miles/day.  All my sleeping bag options and blankets in my possession are too heavy or too hot!!  Help!  I'm melting!!

6 Replies

I'm also *very* interested in this!  My last trip was a few weeks ago and I almost cooked (thankfully, there was a thunderstorm that moved through just after dark that cooled things off) and I've got another coming up next month.  I bought a hammock that I'm going to try for that trip to see if it's any cooler but would love to hear from some of the experienced folks on what some good options are.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Howdy @HeatherFeather and @nathanu 

Growing up in VA and backpacking throughout the Mid-Atlantic I feel your pain! I have had good experience with using either a liner or a VERY lightweight sleeping bag. Depending on the bags you currently own I'd recommend something over 45 degrees to help get you through those hot and humid summer nights. A couple of the ones I enjoy I've shared below:

The Sea to Summit Tri 50 Sleeping Bag is a really solid option to consider first. It is a bag that allows it to be fully opened so you can have insulation under you or not which I thoroughly enjoy.

The Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Liner is another solid option to consider. A large amount of people who move along the Appalachian Trail (AT) during the summer experiment with different liners during the balmy buggy summers! Super light and just enough to cover your body for a bit of warmth. 

Both of these products would be solid choices, I do also agree with the other comment in that a hammock would be a great idea to try. Campers usually find a bit more air flow and are a bit cooler being lifted off the ground. I have had good day time experiences sleeping in Eno hammocks with different straps based on tree spacing. I hope this helps and you have a great day!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

I have an eno hammock I haven't really tried yet.  Gift at Christmas.  I've been tenting it forever.  Sounds like it's time to give it a good try, perhaps 🙂  Thanks for all your suggestions!

The answer is... ‘poncho liner’ as in an old army nylon poncho liner, available many places for under $50. 

perfect for summer nights above 60f

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Woobie 🙂

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I've heard of the woobie! I'll check that out too.  thanks!

0 Likes