cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Suggestions for smaller 4 person or larger 3 person tent with fly and footprint

Howdy: I am having a tough time finding the "right tent" I need a 3 season tent with a fly and footprint. It has to be easy to set up. Floor space of 40+ square inches and a peak height of at least 46". The half-dome 3+ would have worked but its no longer carried by REI. I tried the Half-Dome 2+ but its too small. Some of the candidates that look good are the MSR Zoic 4, Kelty Towpath 3 and the Grand Hut 4 (which seems a bit big). Do you have any other suggestions? Though I think the MSR Zoic 4 looks real good. I guess I would like a smaller 4 person or larger 3 person. Thanks!

0 Likes
2 Replies

@flyeaglesfly   First of all, Go Birds! For a tent similar to the Half Dome 3+, the Marmot Tungsten 4P along with the MSR Zoic 4 would be good considerations for smaller 4 person tents. From some of the specifications you listed, the Marmot Tungsten 3 or Limelight 3 might suit your needs too.  I found both to be easy to set up and comfortable.  If you need additional advice or have certain specifications you're looking for, you can also set up an appointment with our Virtual Outfitting Services and we'd be happy to help narrow down your choices.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@flyeaglesfly Fly,

We own a Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL4, and for 3 people, it is like a palace: 57 square feet for the floor, peak height 50 inches, and a pack weight 5 1/2 lbs (we add some more stakes) with footprint. These are upsides to the tent. The downside is that it was $650. Having grown-up sleeping on/or under tarps in the mountains of Utah (tents were for rich kids), I still have a hard time getting past feeling guilty. If money is an issue, and there are four of you traveling together, you might be bettered served by packing two, two-person tents. There are many, many two-person options out there, both in terms of price and size.

Good luck,

JBG