cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We are currently experiencing issues with logging in and staying logged in, most often with Chrome, We're sorry and are working hard on resolution.
Highlighted

Suggestions for sleeping bag with wider shoulder girth?

I am looking for a bag in the  30 degree range that has a wider shoulder girth.  Any suggestions?

Mike

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted

Hey @cdrmb - Thanks for bringing this question to the community! It'll be helpful to know if you plan to use the sleeping bag for car camping and/or backpacking, as the weight/bulk of a car camping bag can be difficult to accommodate for backpacking.

For shoulder girth, a ‘typical’ mummy bag measures between 58” - 64”; though there are some companies, such as Big Agnes, that tend to offer a bit more space.

If you're not planning to backpack, you might consider the REI Groundbreaker 30. It’s a rectangular bag with a shoulder girth of 66”, which should be a comfortable width for most people looking for a bit more room.

If you're planning to backpack, and weight/bulk matter, we'd recommend the Big Agnes Torchlight 30. It has expandable panel down each side which allows you to configure the shoulder girth from 60” - 70”. With the ability to open/close the zippers in various positions, you can really dial the shoulder/hip spacing that works best for you.

We hope this helps get you started; let us know if you'd like additional suggestions.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

@cdrmb thanks for the response via email! Since it sounds like you will be backpacking with the sleeping bag, and thus weight and bulk matter, here are a few options to consider in addition to the Big Agnes Torchlight:

• Nemo Disco 30 - has a shoulder girth of 64"-66" (regular vs. long length) and only weighs around 2lbs
  • Nemo Tempo 35 - similar shoulder girth to the Nemo Disco and slightly heavier, at a lower price point
  • Big Agnes Anvil Horn 30 - shoulder girth of 69"-72", weighing just over 2lbs, using the Big Agnes sleep system where your ground pad slides into a sleeve under your sleeping bag

Let us know if you have additional questions!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Mike (@cdrmb), 

I had a similar problem (for years). Not only are my shoulders wide, but I tend to move around lots while I sleep, and I never liked being sealed in a bag. I finally realized that the problem was not in my gear but in my head: I switched from a mummy bag to a quilt, and bang!, problem solved! Before I went full-on quilt, I made use of my 20-degree bag in a "quilt-mode" by unzipping it all the way to the foot box and using it as a quilt. What, you might ask, did I sleep on with my mummy bag-turned-quilt? I slept right on a short closed-foam pad that I place on top of my air mattress. Since I always wear a light shirt (or even light thermal) when I sleep, I am never really sleeping directly on my shortened Therm-a-Rest pad.

Good luck!

JBG

0 Likes
Highlighted

I've had similar problems.  The usual way to go is to get a large rectangular bag.  You can always unzip a bag (that can unzip flat, or almost flat) and go "quilt style".  If you want something that's more mummy style, then you're going to have a challenge finding enough width.  I couldn't ever find one that would fit my shoulders for backpacking.  Then I found Enlightened Equipment!  They offer multiple widths, and I got one of their "Convert" models in an extra-wide width.  Problem solved!  

0 Likes