cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Suggestions for replacing a Half Dome 2 Rainfly?

I love my half dome 2 tent but I’ve lost my rainfly. Everything I’ve read says REI never sold that piece separately. 

1.) anyone have a lead on a replacement? Happy to purchase

2.) suggestions for an alternative? Given the small size of the tent I’d love to hear what’s working for others. 

thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies

Hi @Jongilman87 ,

We are sorry to hear that you’ve been separated from your rainfly!  You are correct that this is not a piece of gear we sell separately. We hope to hear how other members may have solved this problem. Here are a couple of other posts you could check out for ideas:

It seems as though the fastest solution is to purchase a lightweight tarp and work to get it arranged to cover your tent body. A product like the REI Co-op Quarter Dome SL Tarp or the MSR Thru-Hiker 70 Wing Shelter might get the job done and have you back on the trail quickly.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@Jongilman87 one note of clarification - we have learned that Rainy Pass cannot make a new rainfly; they can only repair damaged ones. From their website:

A note about rain flies: We get many inquiries about replacing lost or damaged rain flies. We can repair most problems on a ripped or damaged rain fly, but we CANNOT make you a new rain fly from scratch. We suggest checking out eBay or craigslist to see if you can buy the rain fly for your specific tent model from a private seller.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thanks for al these responses-  the zipper just failed on one side of my REI QUARTER dome II rain fly.  I see now that I can’t easily replace the fly- which is a bummer b/c I love the tent and the fly.  Any way to replace the zipper or fix it ?  I see how the bottom of the zipper frayed and the zipper separated from the top.    I wish I could just realign the teeth and sew another stop in the bottom.  Any zipper wizards who can help ?

0 Likes

all you need to do is purchase a nysil, or other material, rectangular tarp and stake the corners down, it will work perfect.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Phil and/or REI,

Does anyone have any information available on the size and shape of the original rain fly?  The REI half Dome 2 circa 2003 we still have had a great vestibule setup but the dimensions are unknown (threw it away in anger over the deteriorated PU coating.). I could go with the substitute tarp method if I had the dimensions.  Thanks!

Richard Aguirre

Watch facebook marketplace and REI garage sales. But if I were you I would purchase a hammock rain fly like this and pitch it above my tent OR use it with a hammock. Now you have more ways to camp!

0 Likes

+1 to suggest this as an item available in store.  Our Scout Troop has like 20 of these tents and the rain fly is the most common point of failure.  I’d like to get a couple more years out of the main tent. 

0 Likes