cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

State of Optimum Gear Possession - Anyone else at this point?

Not sure which board to post this on.

I believe I have reached a state of contentment with the pile of gear in my possession. REI sales come and go. I sniff at them briefly, with little interest. Coupons expire with no regrets. I have become content with what I have. (feels... a little weird.)

I have kayaks, canoes, packs, bags, tents, cooking stuff, running stuff, hiking stuff, bikes and their related stuff. And it's all ready to go for whatever opportunity the day offers. Aside from the periodic replacement of shoes and other things that wear out, I don't feel the old urge to splurge anymore.

Anyone else feel like this?

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
7 Replies

I should!

But I just keep looking

deep breaths, there is an anecdote for this....

Philreedshikes_0-1635450670743.jpeg

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Amen @TomIrvine !!  

Nice to know I'm not the only one.  Like you, I have kayaks, and assorted paddling gear.  I have a nice Specialized hybrid bike, with a rack, and lights, and a bike-specific pack. Having just started bouldering, I have climbing shoes and a crash pad. I have packs, tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, cooking equipment, clothing, outerwear, ad nauseum.  I really don't need anything anyore, but still find myself checking the deals, the Good & Used site, and the local REI Garage for stuff I just can't quite pass up.  But again, like you, most of the time when I see something shiny... SQUIRREL!!!... I stop and think, wait, I have that and don't need another one.  I have been satisfying my gearhead urges by finding stuff for my adult kids, their significant others, and friends.

I mostly agree, mostly...  I still have a couple things I am watching for me and others I am watching to give as gifts, but I am pretty much in the replace as needed camp too.

My soft spot is still blades, from EDC knives to axes and even crosscut saws. I have more than enough of those tools, but am still drawn to the knife case whenever I'm in a store that has one.

Maybe I like the low-tech simplicity and universal usefulness of a simple thing like a knife.

I really wanted to say yes because I don't like to think I"m materialistic, but I guess I am.  Shortly after the pandemic started, I experienced an earthquake with aftershocks that went on for 3 weeks and then a big windstom that knocked out power for 10 days.  Duing all this I went into a bit of a prepping panic and upgraded all my car-camping gear, bought some rechargable lanterns + a small solar panel and stocked up on freeze dried meals. Then the Government sent me a stimulus check so I bought a new fly rod and another packraft affectionately called "the stimulus boat".  So you'd think I'd be completely satisfied.

However,  the last time I took my mountain bike in to get tuned the young man at the shop expressed astonishment at how old it is and commented, "if I had that frame, I'd hang it on the wall".  So apparently there have been some changes in bike technology that I should check out. 

I might also be in the market for some new skis someday since the ones I have were all aquired second-hand.  

So really, being well-outfitted for camping just means now I can shift focus to buying stuff I use less often.   

In any case, I find Smartwool socks irresistable. I keep buying more and more of them just in case the ones I already have get holes. 

Ah, you've hit upon another weakness of mine - bike lust!