cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Seeking advice: Tent or Hammock for camping?

So... I’m a lover of the outdoors and an avid hiker but it’s been 25+years since I’ve went tent camping.  I’ve been watching a lot of Utube videos on hammock vs tent camping and I’m leaning towards the hammock set up.  I’ve researched a few brands and models but if anyone has a suggestion on a hammock set up I would appreciate it!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
13 Replies

@Philreedshikes  - I can only speak to my own reasons for preferring the hammock but you absolutely nailed it. Now that I am in my 50s, that good night sleep is a driving motivator.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

@Dad_Aint_Hip I really need to try hanging one weekend trip.

need to mooch off my hanging friends, who of course have gone through multiple iterations of hammocks, .... just like tents, stoves, boots, etc, etc, etc, ad infinitum 

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

So, one more thought, during mealtime rain showers, I’ve often taken shelter under my friends ‘cabin like’ canopies set up over the hammock, which can be gigantic, with ends that seal up like a friggin cacoon! I have a photo somewhere but am away from my laptop at the moment, sigh...

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Hello!  For me, personally, it's all about the climate and geography you'll be in.  I often have a grand picture in my mind on setting up my hammock after a long trek, only to find there are no trees at my campsite to support my hammock set up.  My recommendation would be to go with a free standing tent.  With this option, it can still be UL weight, but you don't have to rely on trees to get some rest at night.