cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

REI inflatable pillow no longer holds air

Hello fine community,

I bought an REI brand inflatable pillow last August (Item #148558). I've only used it a handful of times since, and it doesn't seem to hold air. If there's a leak, then it's a ridiculously large one; not only does air escape as fast as I can blow it in, but even with the valve closed, I can compress the pillow as easily as if it was opened. I can't find any obvious holes or hissing, is there something else I can try? I'd rather not have to replace the pillow after less than a year of use...

Thanks,

Dominic

0 Likes
4 Replies

@dojoho thanks for reaching out about your pillow. A few thoughts - the pillow definitely should not be losing air as quickly as you inflate it. If that's occurring, it's possible there is a significant leak/defect in a seam; or, the valve may not be on the proper "inflation" setting and is instead set to deflate. If you're sure the valve is set properly, you can follow the instructions in this article on how to find where a leak may be. And if there truly is a leak or defect, our return policy would certainly cover a return or exchange as you're within one year of purchase.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@REI-JenK thanks for the help! I tried finding a leak in a tub full of water and found at least three areas, near the corners, that leak bubbles over a 2-4 square inch area. It seems a little big for a patch job, but if you think it might work, I'm willing to give it a go. Unfortunately, I don't know if we still have the receipt, so returning it might not work even though I bought it less than a year ago.

0 Likes

I would definitely return it.  Good thing you addressed it now, since the stores are closed for returns and your 1 yr warranty might be up by the time they reopen.  You might want to call/email their returns section for formal notice, if it will be close.

I use an rei stuff sack which has a cloth liner on the inside for a pillow, just reverse it and re-stuff.

good luck

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

@dojoho while you could certainly try to patch those 3 areas, the reality is that it shouldn't be leaking within only one year of owning/using. Our return policy will certainly cover this, and we have extended the return window so that any purchase that hits its one year mark during our store closures will still be accepted - so, you can wait to make your return until your local REI store reopens. Did you make your purchase online or using an REI membership? If so, we should be able to find your proof of purchase! Hope this helps.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes