cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Recommendations of your favorite Camping Meals

Will be traveling to Badlands NP --> Grand Teton NP --> Glacier NP. Majority of the time will be spend at Teton NP (3 days) and Glacier NP (5 days).

What are some of your favorite meals to cook for dinner that are simple and one pot style? Do you cook the dehydrated bag meals each night, or how would you mix it up but keep it simple and light for packing? Will stop at some places to eat, but plan to cook once we have our camp site set up. 

0 Likes
14 Replies

I dehydrate leftovers from various stuff I normally cook for supper.  Chili, various casseroles, shrimp and grits, that sort of thing.  Just like eating at home, but out in the woods.

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Most of my meals for backpacking would be the freeze-dried meals (i.e., Mountain House).  That is due in a great part to prepping for the Philmont Scout ranch trek that I took in 2017.  Although a couple of the Philmont meals in 2017 were not freeze-dried (maybe like dinner #10).  Those are not dehydrated meal either.  It is a blend of items in packets to make a meal.

Philmont's meals Dining in The Backcountry - Philmont Scout Ranch

I would need to look at investing in a dehydrator to do anything else.

Enjoy

0 Likes

I kindof bounce between the backpacker meals (e.g., Mountain House and similar) and stuff I have at home.  Ramen, instant potatoes, mac and cheese (put in a freezer bag to pack on / out) and then add easy to pack protein (summer sausage, dried meat, etc.).  

0 Likes

I stick pretty much exclusively to dehydrated meals in a bag. I like not having to do anything other than boil water. The best meals I've found, no contest whatsoever, are Stowaway Gourmet. Delicious.

https://lnt.org/
https://mountainstoseatrail.org/
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ten-essentials.html

One of my faves is macaroni and cheese, out of  box, supplemented with whatever is handy, often a bit of beef jerky, but often veggies work well.

if you're car camping, there are plenty of meals you can cook out of a cast-iron dutch oven!

0 Likes

I go strictly freeze-dried/dehydrated. I have my favorite meals from Mountain House, Good To-Go and Peak Refuel. All I want to have to do is boil water. But try meals out at home or on day hikes, some are great, others not-so-much.

Oh my, @DavidandMoose , that point is huge.  Try it at home, where a) you have other food and b) you likely haven't been hiking for miles / hours and are starving.  Trying something new while on trail can make an otherwise awesome trip far less awesome.  Don't ask me how I know but, trust me. Suffice it to say, half burnt but still crunchy mac and cheese hits A spot, just not THE spot 🙂

0 Likes

A good example I discovered; I love the meals from Good To-Go. I love the Chicken Gumbo, Three Bean Chili, Pad Thai and the Classic Marinara with Pasta. But when I tried the Bibimbap, let's just say, I'm glad I was just out on a short dayhike.  I like spicy, American version of spicy, like chili, but Bibimbap is a Korean dish, a whole difference type of spicy.

0 Likes