cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Older rainfly needing treatment

I have an older REI Quarter Dome tent that its rain fly is sticky. Would treating it with weather proofing help it or is it past its usability at this point?

0 Likes
4 Replies

@Autumn thanks for the question! Sticky tent/rainfly material is fairly common over time and unfortunately doesn't have a surefire solution. Here's an article from Outside magazine with some tips on how to try to "fix" a sticky rainfly - we see mixed results in removing the stickiness and often the success of any treatment will likely depend on the severity of the stickiness and the age of the tent/rainfly.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

I have an older quarter dome as well, and experienced the same thing.  I was able to lay it out in the sun which fixed most of this, I think I may have sprayed it with a garden hose in the backyard.

After which I sprayed it down with a can of waterproofing from walmart.  I took it out of storage for a backpacking trip to iceland last summer (2019).

the tent is heavier than my others, but extremely durable, so it got the 'nod' to travel.

here's some pix of it in action.

DSC02145 - reduced.jpgDSC02346 - reduced.jpgDSC02347 - reduced.jpgDSC02348 - reduced.jpgDSC02392 - reduced.jpgDSC02416 - reduced.jpgDSC02429 - reduced.jpg

https://youtu.be/YkOgDHadfjQ

https://youtu.be/mIjs3VGcFho

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Iceland's Laugavegur Trail (Hotsprings Trail) from Landmannalaugar to Thorsmork 1-5 July 2019. Backpacking
Backpacking Icelands famous Laugavegur Trail, from Landmannalaugar to Thorsmork. July 1-5, 2019

@Philreedshikes Thank you.

0 Likes