cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Needing a Footprint made for my beloved Moss tents

Hello, REI folks.

I continue to enjoy my Stardome II and Big Dipper Moss tents that I have had for around thirty years. They are heavy, but super rugged and great for car camping. After years of fiddling of using tarps as ground cloths, I was wondering if you all know of how I could get footprints made. The Stardome II isn't really a problem as it is fairly standard sized, but the Big Dipper and vestibule require a bespoke effort. Thanks for any ideas that you may have. Much appreciated.

Randy

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@umbagog 

If you're looking for a someone to manufacture a footprint for your tent (instead of attempting to DIY it like the link @REI-JenK supplied), I recommend reaching out to Alaska Tent and Tarp, who do great custom work for a variety of different applications. Given you have the dimensions in that graphic, it should be relatively easy for them to give you a quote on how much it might cost. You can reach out to them on their contact us page.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
5 Replies

@umbagog this is a tricky one - thanks for thinking of us for help! Here are a few suggestions we have - hoping other members of our community might weigh in as well:

• If you haven't already, check eBay or other resale websites
  • If you can provide us with the dimensions of both tent floors, we can try to help narrow down on new footprints that will fit
  • Check out this suggestion that our member @Philreedshikes provided to another member who was also in search of a hard-to-find footprint

Good luck!

0 Likes

Thanks, Jen. Here are the dimensions of the Moss Big Dipper.

umbagog_0-1591126824672.png

0 Likes

@umbagog 

If you're looking for a someone to manufacture a footprint for your tent (instead of attempting to DIY it like the link @REI-JenK supplied), I recommend reaching out to Alaska Tent and Tarp, who do great custom work for a variety of different applications. Given you have the dimensions in that graphic, it should be relatively easy for them to give you a quote on how much it might cost. You can reach out to them on their contact us page.

Hope this helps!

John:

Thanks so much, John.  That's a great help. Much appreciated.

how about going to your local sewing fabric/materials store, get some very durable outdoor fabric, cut it to match the footprint,  then get a grommet kit, and install the grommets yourself.

could be a nice dyi project.

If your footprint material is nylon, you can burn the edges yourself after trimming to eliminate fraying.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes