cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

My toddler “helped” me restring my REI Quarter Dome 2...

B881935C-FD94-4DF9-92B9-5C2CC0F7D797.jpeg

Hi all, I was doing a decent job of restringing our 2016 (orange and grey) half dome 2 when my 3year old decided to “help” and now I am pretty sure the poles are all out order. I DID take photos before taking the old cord out but they’re not good enough to discern which length or curved versus straight sections go where. 

is there any info of pole section placement or does anyone have the same tent? Maybe you could unfold poles and give me a “map” of sorts? 

any help is greatly appreciated! 

5 Replies

@MonicaLeah 

Thanks for reaching out!

How wonderful it is when our toddlers decide to 'help' out on these projects! We should have a lot of folks here in the community who have Half Dome 2 tents so maybe one of them can chime in first. In the meantime we'll connect with our Co-op Brand engineers and see if we can track down the info you need. We'll respond here in the community when we hear back from them.

Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thanks!

0 Likes

Edit: 

It’s a QUARTER dome 2 

0 Likes

@MonicaLeah 

We touched base with our engineering team and they hooked us up with the specs of the tent! It's going to be a little complicated to explain, but I'll do my best. What's important to know is that all of the pole lengths are measured in millimeters, so you'll want to measure them and sort them by lengths (maybe even label them with masking tape to make it easier). I will refer to them by their length in mm, straight or curved, and whatever add ons they may have on the ends. Additionally, you have a 'swivel hub' that holds the poles together that cross near the back/rear of the tent, and a '6-pronged hub' that is the intersection of 6 poles near the top/front of the tent.

Here is a list of the 21 pole pieces you should have:

4 curved pieces, 400 mm long.

8 straight pieces, 400 mm long.

1 straight piece, 310 mm long.

2 straight pieces, 300 mm long, with 'screwlock tips' to fit into the grommets on the tent corner.

2 straight pieces, 415 mm long, with 'screwlock tips' to fit into the grommets on the tent corner.

1 straight piece, 255 mm long, with a 'screwlock tip' to fit into the grommet on the back/rear of the tent.

2 straight pieces, 450 mm long, with a 'screwball tip' that stick out over the tent doors and lock into a fitting at the top of the door.

1 straight piece, 300 mm long, with a 'screwball tip' that juts out over the front/top of the tent.

For this explanation, I'm going to break the whole system down into 7 'sections':

The 1 'Rear Hoop Section' connecting the two corners of the rear/bottom of the tent, 1 'Spine Section' running the entire length of the center of the tent and going through both hubs, 3 'Arm Sections' coming out from the '6 sided hub' at the top of the tent, and 2 'Leg sections', extending from the '6 sided hub' at the top of the tent down to the two corners of the tent body on the front/top. Here is a photo to show what I mean:

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 12.15.03 PM.png

We'll start with the spine section and then work back to front with the other sections:

Spine Section, back to front (6 pole pieces with two hubs): 255 mm straight piece with 'screwlock tip', 310 mm straight piece, 'swivel hub' piece, 4 400mm straight pieces, '6 sided hub'.

Rear Hoop Section (4 pole pieces with the swivel hub in the center): 415 mm straight piece with 'screwlock tip', 400 mm curved piece, swivel hub, 400 mm curved piece, 415 mm straight piece with 'screwlock tip'.

Leg sections (4 pole pieces each, meeting at the '6 sided hub'): 300 mm straight piece with 'screwlock tip', 2 400 mm straight pieces, 1 400 mm curved piece.

2 Arm sections (extending from '6 sided hub' out to the top of the tent doors): 450mm straight piece with 'screwball tip'.

1 Arm Section: 300 mm straight piece with 'screwball' end extending out from the '6 sided hub' toward the front of the tent, almost like an extension of the spine section.

Hopefully this helps, don't hesitate to reach back out with any questions!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

This is incredible. It's exactly what I need. THANK YOU so much.