cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for chemical free camping tents

Recently read an article about flame retardants and tents. I know Mountain Hardwear is no longer using them on their tents and that REI is planning on phasing them out this fall. What are my options currently available? Thanks! 

0 Likes
32 Replies

@EmsK 

Thanks for reaching out!

The REI Co-op Half Dome tents, Mountain Hardwear tents, the NEMO Chogori 3 tent, and the REI Co-op Arete 2 ASL tent are all flame retardant chemical free tents that we have available this year.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hey John J, 

Appreciate the info you're providing the community. Just to confirm, any new REI Co-op Half Dome SL 2+ Tent will be free of the flame retardant chemicals? It doesn't mention it on the product specifications for Item #185632 and so I wanted to double check. It's a really important factor in my tent purchasing decision. 

Thanks,

Rick

@rclemons 

Rick,

You're welcome, thanks for asking the clarifying question! 

I have confirmed with both our sustainability team and our product team that the new REI Co-op Half Dome SL tents (both 2+ and 3+) are free of flame retardant chemicals.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hello,

I am looking for a larger tent with no fire retardants, would you be able to point to some for 6+ . If not , my second option would be 4+ .

Thanks much

0 Likes

Hello,

Is the REI Kingdom tent now flame retardant free for year 2021?

0 Likes

Hi @jkissla - Thanks for bringing this question to the community. The current REI Kingdom tents are not flame retardant free.

0 Likes

Any timeline on the Kingdom 4 being flame retardant free?

@slamx 

Thanks for the question!

At this time, we do not have a specific date when the REI Co-op Kingdom line of tents will be flame retardant free. We will post an update here in the community as soon as we have more information available. In the meantime, you appreciate some of the information in this article posted in the Co-op Journal last October, REI Pursuing New Testing Methods to Eliminate Flame Retardants.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hey John-

Given that it is mostly families that are using the Kindgom line, I would think this should be one of the first tents to transition.  Any more clarity on this?

Anyone at REI you recommend contacting to elevate this issue?

The fact that there is a new standard and REI continues to sell tents with flame retardants is not a good sign (i.e. profits over heath and safety).  Is this taken seriously at REI?

0 Likes

@JoeyBones 

Thank you for reaching out. We appreciate your feedback on this issue and we hear you. Here is the link to the most recent update on where we are with our process: REI Pursuing New Method to Eliminate Flame Retardants, which was published at the end of May this year. For more information, you can check out this article, REI Co-op fights climate change and advances equity in the industry with bold new product standards. Lastly, if you would like to read through the product standards from that article, you can do so here (REI Product Standards).

0 Likes