cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for chemical free camping tents

Recently read an article about flame retardants and tents. I know Mountain Hardwear is no longer using them on their tents and that REI is planning on phasing them out this fall. What are my options currently available? Thanks! 

0 Likes
12 Replies

@southrnmojo Thanks for reaching out!

We're going to connect with our sustainability team on this one and see what we can find out for you. We'll circle back here in the community with a response as soon as we hear back.

Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@southrnmojo Thanks for your patience as we tracked down this information!

At this time, the only other tents the REI carries that do not use chemical flame retardants are the Chogori Tents by NEMO. As REI begins to update our tents we will not be using toxic flame retardant chemicals moving forward. Look for the REI Arete tent, REI Half Dome tents, and the REI Kingdom tents to be free of those chemicals next year.

Hopefully this helps!

Why is it so hard to find basic information on wether or not REI tents contain fire retardant and other harmful chemicals?  Seriously, I have a two year old and would love to take her camping this year but really don't want to subject her (or myself or my wife) to unnecessary carcinogens.  

Would love a straight answer.

0 Likes

@nelybelly1  5 Flame Retardant–Free Tent Options

1. All Fjällräven tents, including the Abisko and Keb series, are made without flame retardants, as well as other known problematic materials, including PVC plastic and fluorocarbons.
  2. Hyperlite Mountain Gear and Zpack’s ultralight, long-distance tents use Dyneema Composite Fabrics and are free of flame retardants.
  3. All Mountain Hardwear tents released in 2019 onward—including the spring 2020 debut of the roomy two- and three-person Mineral King tent—has ditched these chemicals.
  4. Nemo’s Chogori two- and three-person mountaineering tents and Spike ultralight one-person tent are made with silicone-treated fabrics that are free from flame retardants. (They will not ship to California, Louisiana, Minnesota, or New Jersey.)

https://www.outsideonline.com/2406767/flame-resistant-tents-carcinogens-cancer

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

@nelybelly1 Thanks for reaching out!

At this time, the only REI Co-op tent free of flame retardant chemicals that is available to purchase at this time is the REI Co-op Arete 2 tent. As I stated in my previous response, the REI Co-op Half Dome tents and REI Co-op Kingdom tents will be free of those chemicals next year.

As @Philreedshikes stated, all the Mountain Hardwear tents are free of flame retardant chemicals as well.

We will pass your feedback along about making it easier to find this information.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

I was wondering when these chemical-free tents will be available this year? I’m hoping to get one for this camp season. Thanks. 

0 Likes

@EmsK 

Thanks for reaching out!

The REI Co-op Half Dome tents, Mountain Hardwear tents, the NEMO Chogori 3 tent, and the REI Co-op Arete 2 ASL tent are all flame retardant chemical free tents that we have available this year.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

0 Likes

Hey John J, 

Appreciate the info you're providing the community. Just to confirm, any new REI Co-op Half Dome SL 2+ Tent will be free of the flame retardant chemicals? It doesn't mention it on the product specifications for Item #185632 and so I wanted to double check. It's a really important factor in my tent purchasing decision. 

Thanks,

Rick

@rclemons 

Rick,

You're welcome, thanks for asking the clarifying question! 

I have confirmed with both our sustainability team and our product team that the new REI Co-op Half Dome SL tents (both 2+ and 3+) are free of flame retardant chemicals.

Thanks!

0 Likes