cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Keeping dry in a tent.

This is quite a general question and I still wonder how to do this, but when it rains, how do people keep the floor of  a tent dry if the ground is wet?

Kyle M | https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtrM2UkJKMvKv3qyR9WFv7w
Have a Great Day, and make your best adventure yet.
0 Likes
8 Replies

How wet is "wet"?  There are degrees of wetness - from standing water to barely moist.  Pitch your tent on well drained ground.  Most quality tents have a fairly waterproof floor which will inevitably degrade with time, so treat it with care.  Using a footprint also helps to some extent, although water will find a way...

In tents without a sewn in floor, choosing a well drained spot is even more important.  Also don't go camping in bad weather.

I vividly recall pitching my tent in the Gila Wilderness years ago.  An evening thunderstorm demonstrated that I had violated nearly all the above advice.  Result - a thoroughly soaked sleeping bag.  I susvived, and you will too!!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

@hikermornice! I'm currently planning my first trip to Gila Wilderness, this May. Flying into El Paso then driving to trailhead.  Doing the west fork/middle fork loop, which seems to be very popular, over 5 days.  The photo/vids of the area look terrific.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Great!! You will have a ball.  you trip will probably both start and end at Gila Cliff Dwellings where me and my stalwart Navajo crew worked in 1968.  You will have a great time.  The Gila is full of wonderful trips.  I would rather hike there than  a good many National Parks.

Don't camp where I got soaked.  You can't miss it- right along the trail on the Middle Fork.  Probably still damp.....

@hikermor  lol, I'll keep an eye out for it, 😉

I'm hearing that Jordan hot springs (warm springs?), now has brain eating amoeba, gonna take a pass on taking a dip in that one!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

@Philreedshikes - Pretty sure I'd be safe swimming in there, then. Poor amoeba would starve! LOL

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Most trekking pole tents (ie non freestanding) are (mostly) single wall so naturally go up "fly first" so the inner floor is always mostly protected from direct rain.   However you do have to stake such tents to get them to stand up at all and that can be frustrating at times and made worse by rain.

Most freestanding two wall tents usually go up tent body first then fly over the top.  Since the tent body usually consists of a lot of mesh,  rain will get in.   For such tents the best way is to be quick and the best way to be quick is to have competent help.  If you are traveling with others,  help each other set the tents up one at a time.

Some two wall tents such as the Big Agnes Copper Spur can be set up fly first if you use the factory footprint.  It is a bit of a faff to do because you need to work inside the confined space of the fly.   Also you will likely have wet rain gear on which ideally you should take off before going under the fly.   I would only resort to it if you have no help and the rain is heavy enough to make it is worth the extra contortionary effort.   The feature is probably of more use when taking down the tent in the rain allowing you to keep the fly up while you pack away the dry(er) tent body.

I have never had a wet floor issue in any tent I have used in the past 45 years.  What tent are your using?  Does it have a fly? Make sure the tent is not pitched in a basin or in the midst of a water course if it rains. Use a footprint or waterproof tarp underneath but make sure that what you put under the tent does not extend beyond the tent edges, otherwise it will collect rain water and allow it to move under the tent floor.

aka "Boonerelli"

0 Likes