cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

How can I find replacement tent poles? Why doesn't REI carry extras?

Its not very sustainable as a company to not sell replacement poles for YOUR REI tents. Sales person told me to but a new tent. ????  No the tent is good but I need a replacement pole since a friend lost it when he borrowed it. REI should change its policy. Now I have to jury rig a pole. I will think twice about buying a tent from REI.

0 Likes
5 Replies

@bajab thanks for reaching out and providing us with feedback about carrying extra tent poles for all of the REI tents we make. Although we don't currently do this, we work closely with, and recommend, Tent Pole Technologies as a great solution for repairing/replacing tent poles.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@bajab It might be worthwhile to reconsider loaning out gear....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I have the same problem- a broken shockcord on my tent pole (REI Half-Dome 2, just 3 years old) plus a cracked plastic connection that happened when I was camping and trying to stabilize the poles to hold the tent for the overnight trip. I realize I can fix the shockcord - but what about the fitting? 

If/when I buy a new tent, I will research companies that offer repair or replacement of tent poles. Circularity is to be considered when a tent is designed and produced - consider the end of life, and how to bring it back to use. A company's responsibility - and now mine, since I own the tent.

0 Likes

@intheflow 

Thanks for reaching out and we're sorry to hear about your tent poles. We will be sure to pass your feedback along to the appropriate team. We encourage you to reach out to Tent Pole Technologies for your repair. You can find their contact information on our Repair Services page. They have the specs for REI tent poles and may be able to replace the plastic piece for you.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hi @REI-JohnJ .  I have seen several other posts regarding this issue, and the recommendation to go directly to Tent Pole Technologies for assistance.  Has REI considered a partnership with that company, so that REI customers and Co-op members can work with you (REI), a company that we are familiar with, have accounts with, and have local stores to assist with the questions and handling of these issues?

Personally, I think that would serve multiple purposes.  Likely TPT would see an increase of business, REI would receive more foot traffic, as well as get more "credit" for customer service and sustainability, and the customers/end-users would have a better overall experience.

Just food for thought...

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes