cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hammock and knot guru help needed

I have an Outdoor Vitals double hammock. I use yhe included straps and suspension and I like it, but I just don't know that Im getting that "perfect lay" that I hear so much about. I believe my problem is that I don't have a 30 degree hang and I believe that a good ridgeline is my solution. So, my planned fix is to take some cordage (I have some lightweight amsteel that's rated at 350lbs) and make a ridgeline thats capable of being between about 75% and 85% the length ofy hammock (ideal is 83%, I have trouble with commitment 🙂 so I want adjustability). I've cut the cordage and have a bowline knot on one end and am planning a taught line hitch on the other to give me the adjustability. Ive never "relied" on that knot though and am wondering if anybody has done it or can spot a flaw in my logic.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
5 Replies

Nathan-

A fixed ridgeline can indeed help in getting that “perfect lay”: it ensures that you hang at the right height given a set distance between trees. I’d recommend setting a distance rather than staying flexible—the whole point is that you don’t have to adjust it. Also, for this task I’d just use two half-hitches each side. Finish one side with a slippery half-hitch so that you can untie/retie easily.

Happy hanging!

A static length (versus the option to adjust it) makes sense.  Will string it up with two half hitches on one end (one end already has a bowline in it that's decided it's never coming loose).

0 Likes

I honestly never realized that hammocks were so complex and complicated. Who knew my high school trigonometry could come in handy for camping and relaxing? The things we learn on this forum....even us people who thought we knew everything.  😁

In all seriousness though, that's what makes this great.  Despite how much experience we may or may not have; however much we think we know; there's always something new to learn.  And bringing this group of people together to share their collective experience and knowledge facilitates that and makes us all a little smarter and better equipped to enjoy our experiences. 

@nathanu 

Here’s a video that I’ve found helpful when I first bought a hammock. I did end up buying the gear mentioned in the video; however, setup is a breeze and secure. Adjustments are quick and easy. There are no fancy knots that are hard to remove because they have tightened under load (the Muletape also helps with that).

The benefit of using the Muletape and tree strap is that they don’t stretch, even when they get wet, resulting in a sagging hammock. I have other videos for creating a continuous ridgeline for the rainfly if you’re interested.

Antigravity Gear Tree Strap and Muletape
Suspension
https://youtu.be/H0u25ZBcr20

George "Tin Man" Andrews shows how to set up the AntiGravityGear Tree Straps & Muletape Suspenson system.AntiGravityGear Tree Straps and Muletape can be purc...

Ok, so a quick update on this.  I have tinkered with the length of my ridgeline and believe that around 85%+/- is my sweet spot for the moment.  I may tinker with it a little more, but that seems to work.  I ended up going with a bowline knot rather than the half hitches because a) it looks cooler and b) my half hitches kept slipping (it's entirely possible that I may be doing it wrong).  Anyway, it definitely seems to have made a difference and it's the exact same angle regardless of how far apart the trees are.  Also, I still have the 350lb line but I ended up getting slightly stronger line just because the 350lb line was so small it was very difficult to untie.