cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Half Dome 2 rain fly sticky & flaky

Hi there! 

I used my Half Dome 2 (circa 2011) a few weeks ago, got it home and un packed it to better re-pack at my house. When doing so, the rainfly stuck to itself, became quite sticky and soon after all that sticky-ness started flaking off like dandruff all over my house. What could have caused this? And what should I do to remedy this?

Thanks for any advice!

-KV

0 Likes
1 Reply

@kailavisconti Thanks for reaching out!

The issue you are facing comes from the deterioration of the polyurethane coating on your tent. This happens to tents pretty frequently and can be caused due to the age of the tent or storing it packed too tightly or wet. We encourage you to check out this Expert Advice article, How to Waterproof a Tent, to read about how to remove the flaky parts of the seam seal. We also encourage you to read through these threads, Replacement Rain Fly: Half Dome 2 Plus and Classic Moss Tent needs de-odorization for some other tips from members of the community who solved this issue with their tents.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes