cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Getting a truck - how much horsepower is needed to carry camping gear?

I'm buying a truck after living in New York my entire life, moving out to Colorado to go overlanding. I've only had sports cars in the past, but I can't resist all these luscious outdoor images, so am moving west to camp in the wilderness. I am wondering how much horsepower is needed to haul a rooftop tent and all the gear needed. I'm leaving my job at the hedge fund and budget isn't really an issue. I'm thinking the Ford Raptor or RAM TRX might be a good starting point. Can't wait to go blaze some new trails. Any help would be great for selecting a truck to haul some great REI camp gear! Looking for friends to go annihilate some trails with. Hit me up! 

2020 Ford Raptor, 37" Mickey T's
Overland or Die
Always working to beat the fuzz and cut some new trails
Labels (3)
1 Reply

Hey there @picklepower ! A raptor or Ram TRX would have more than enough power for rooftop tents it’s all about weight limits and attachments points. The best option is to Mount a rooftop tent over the bed of your truck, the racks that Mount on to the cab of your truck with clips are not approved by most companies to support a rooftop tent. The next option for over the cab would be drilling directly into the cab to Mount fixed point towers and crossbars, but again the best most secure option would be to go over the bed of the truck. Something like the Yakima overhaul is a super option for these tents they give you the adjustability to have the tent/crossbars higher or lower so you can still use the bed of the truck. They are unfortunately only approved for use with retrax tonneau covers and other kind that I can’t think of the name but I can get it for you if your interested in a tonneau! The overhaul with hd bars is a fantastic option if I ever upgrade from a jeep to a truck I’ll be getting that for sure!