cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Gear question: Why doesn't my Big Agnes Air Core hold air?

Have the Air Core ultra insulated pad.  Pump it up late in the day and by next morning it lost about 1/3 of its bounce.  I originally attributed this to temperature change (95+ in the day, ~75 by morning) but now I don't know.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

0 Likes
4 Replies

@Albert Thanks for reaching out!

It is definitely possible that the change in the air temperature caused your pad to deflate. A lot of people don't think about how the air you fill your pad with air that is almost 98° F and overnight that can change dramatically. That being said, with a temperature drop to only 75° F in your case, that seems like a pretty dramatic drop in air in your pad.

Have you filled up your air pad at home yet? To eliminate some variables we recommend filling your pad, letting it sit for 30 minutes, then topping it off so its full and waiting for 8 hours or so at a consistent temperature. If you have a leak, your pad will deflate, if it was the ambient air temperature then your pad will remain inflated.

If you have a leak, we recommend using a bathtub full of water to locate the leak and then using a sleeping pad repair kit to fix it. You can read more information about sleeping pad repair in this Expert Advice article, How to Repair a Sleeping Pad.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Also, if there is a manufacturing issue it may still meet warranty requirements.  See:

https://support.bigagnes.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003043407-What-s-covered-under-warranty-and-what-s...

0 Likes

Just one of many reasons why I prefer closed cell foam pads....

I have both the air core ultra and the air core ultra insulated. I have no problems whatsoever with the uninsulated version, but it does seem like the insulated one loses air overnight. I've only used the insulated one around a dozen nights, and I've never been flat on the ground in the morning, so it hasn't worried me much, although it does make me wonder if it will get worse with time.

0 Likes