cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

First time camping

So I've read a bunch of articles on really important things to bring/keep in mind but is there anything that you never really thought about needing until you were out in the middle of the woods and didn't have it? 

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello Just_Me

I would suggest car camping for first timers.Usually if they have vault toilets they should have running water. There are multiple things that you will bring on your trip.There are a lot of thing that I a make sure to bring, but batteries, baby wipes and 10hr hand warmers I always have in my crate. 

I would highly recommend the book "The Backpacker's Field Manual" by Rick Curtis. 

3 Replies

@Just_Me  What type of camping will you be doing? That makes a big difference as to what you wipild bring. The gear needed for car camping and backpacking is very different (although there are some common items I.e sleeping bag, water, snacks, weather/region appropriate clothing). Let me know if I can help!

Hello Just_Me

I would suggest car camping for first timers.Usually if they have vault toilets they should have running water. There are multiple things that you will bring on your trip.There are a lot of thing that I a make sure to bring, but batteries, baby wipes and 10hr hand warmers I always have in my crate. 

I would highly recommend the book "The Backpacker's Field Manual" by Rick Curtis.