cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Fire Warning Systems

https://enewspaper.latimes.com/desktop/latimes/default.aspx?edid=13d2ac90-b100-45fa-9399-8022ba1e94a...

The front page lead article in today's LA Times is sobering reading. Power outages combined with isolation, complacency, and social attitudes yield a very bad outcome...

Worth a thoughtful read...

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
8 Replies

Thank you for sharing this link.  What a read...oh my. 

@hikermorthanks...very sobering and heart wrenching

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

This has been an exceptional start to the fire season in the the West starting with an exceptional dry electrical storm across most of western CA about 3 weeks or so ago.  There were apparently over 1200 strikes over the course of a week  which caused a massive number of wild fires.  Many of those fires joined and are still burning.  This has stretched resources in CA incredibly thin,  made for some very bad air quality and some strangely lit days.  OR is now experiencing some massive wild fires.

You can see what burned and what is still on fire using caltopo active fire layer

Note:  The presented data requires some understanding to interpret and while active, is delayed...VIRS is updated twice day.  GOES is more frequent but less accurate and more experimental.  The fire areas are updated daily.  Defer to local instruction when you get an evacuation warning or order.

https://caltopo.com/about/2020/08/20/summer-wildfires/

link not working

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

@Philreedshikes  not sure why the link is bad but the text of the link shown works

https://caltopo.com/about/2020/08/20/summer-wildfires/

Something went wrong in the paste.  I edited the link here and it works.

0 Likes

@Philreedshikes 

I'm not sure why the link tries to open in Conversations, but that's why it doesn't work. If you copy it to a new window it will work. Or you can just 'open link in new tab' and you should be good to go. Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Based onmy experience evacuating the Thomas fire a few years ago, I would leave early, rather than waiting until the mandatory order is given.  You have a better chance of avoiding traffic that way.  It is really challenging to drive when all the traffic lights are disabled....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

@hikermor  Sure...my point was don't delay because this map doesn't show imminent danger.  If you are told to evacuate,  you should.  In the 2017 Tubbs fire which jumped a shopping mall, hotel and freeway and took out a neighborhood of Santa Rosa, CA, destroying something like 500 homes,  people had less that 2 hrs warning!

0 Likes