cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

Favorite Tent - Past or Present

I'd love to hear what your favorite tents are now or ones you've had in the past?

For me....I'll always love my North Face Tadpole 23.  This thing was awesome and wicked dry.  It went with me all over Europe and I spent 3 months straight in this thing while in Wales.  Alas, a storm finally destroyed it and I moved on.  

I've been using the REI Quarter Dome T2 since about 2012?  It is now at end of life and I'm looking forward to my next tent purchase 

As soon as it hits the REI distribution center, I'll be picking up the new Sea to Summit Telos and am super stoked about it.  I can't wait to share my adventures with you all this summer.  

Keep Calm and Paddle On
52 Replies

I had the first version of this tent and hated it, it was all black on the inside making it seem like I was wedged into a claustrophobic cave!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
0 Likes

oops, the six moons

0 Likes

@Philreedshikes yeah based on this blog from 2004 it seems the first version was black
http://cwillett.imathas.com/local/monty/index.html

Green was definitely available by 2009 from a review I found and I think the guide I took a trip with in 2009 had a green one although I unfortunately didn't take any photos of the tents on that trip.

The current green or grey are fine. Just a bit boring especially when compared with the terminal cheeriness of the yellow BA TW. The grey is apparently brighter inside than the green which is partly why I chose the grey. I guess they have those two colors so you can either pretend to be a bush or a rock. I would prefer some kind of lighter buff or sand color personally if we are going to stick to "natural" colors. I do not find my tent claustrophobic or feel "wedged in" so I suspect the color had a lot to do with it.

0 Likes

I went back an found an old photo of the tent, it was green, the darkness came when it was all closed up. No translucence.

@PhilreedshikesI guess I was equating color with translucence but you are right, it is not the same although it can be related.   Of course some people like a blackout effect since it helps them sleep and not necessarily wake up with the sun.   I'm with you and prefer a certain amount of translucence.  

I guess I can see how the back slope could feel oppressive if it was dark but I'm surprised that you had that strong a reaction.  I would have thought the 3/4 length vestibule (which is good and bad) would have let enough light in regardless and in nice weather you get a full open mesh front wall.  As far as I can tell the tent has only changed in a few details from the original release...The fabric and how the roof sections are sewn being the more apparent changes. 

In practice I find there is pretty good head room and you can lift the end panel by tying out a center guy point with your other trekking pole for a bit more.  I certainly don't get the feeling I'm "lying in state" like I did with gen 2 CS UL1.   The difference there is the generous floor space of the LS which just for comparison is the same length as the Duplex (90in) and at its widest point is actually wider (48in) than the Duplex floor (45in) at least according to the online specs.  The nominal pole height (48in) is the same too although obviously the Duplex uses two poles and had a ridge line.  The current gen3 Copper Spur UL1 has an 88 x 38/28 floor. I don't think that has changed from the one I tried.

There are so many choices! I don't have one yet, and every time I think I've made up my mind, I change it again! Love reading everyone's thoughts though.

Are there any TARPTENT users out here?  I bought the Tarptent Moment DW back in 2015 and it is still going strong.  1 person tent with 6 different venting locations, double vestibule, double entry, free standing option, sub 2-pounds.  Not Ultraleight, but perfect for my uses at a decent price.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

@tadoerner Yep, right here! The notch! Fantastic, bomb proof, extremely light! My buddy got one, so I had to get one, then before you know it, almost everyone in our group had a TT.

https://youtu.be/47XBYLx71JQ

0 Likes

My worst tent is a better story.  It was the early 70's and I was in my early teens. Somewhere I bought a tube tent for I think $4.  It was a heavy mil plastic tube that you would put a rope through and tie it to a couple of trees and put rocks in the corners to create a triangle.  I tied it and some food to my single speed bike and rode about 15 miles in the OK heat to a campsite along the highway.  My older brother had a 10 speed and had a much better time.  I learned two things about the tent that night. 1) you had to leave the ends open to have any hope of being comfortable in the heat and humidity. 2) if you left the ends open the mosquitoes ate you alive.  All night I alternated between the sauna and being a blood donor.  Rode home and threw the thing away.

No tent again until I was an adult and bought a Sierra Designs OctoDome.  Great tent with 4 windows and integral rainfly.  Was a great 10 lb. tent!  Actually did backpack with it a few times.

Then went to an REI Half Dome which I still have and love, but relegated now to car camping.

My newest is the Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 MTNGLO. Love that tent!  And love the guarantee from BA. 

I'm having a bold issue. This is with bold on and this is with bold off.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.