cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Dutch Oven Cooking

This is my first post on this forum,  please advise if changes should be made. 

Base camp cooking can be a great apres-hike evening! My Dutch Oven nachos have created frenzied eating around the campfire.  Next "in camp" dessert effort...Crepes. 

I would like to meet with other camp chefs (and newbies) to swap techniques, successes and recipes from cast iron. Bring your own oven and ingredients and of course BYOB paring suggestions. 

North New Jersey area,  summer 2021?

Please let me know if you have any interest and we can get a park permit for a picnic. 

Labels (1)
8 Replies

Nachos in camp!? I've died and gone to heaven! Don't tease me!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Hey @Philreedshikes,  

Yes,  we've got this really dialed in!  I can't order nachos in resturants any more as they are not worth eating!

This well be a must when we get have the picnic

I can still taste the apple cobbler cooked in a dutch oven at a boy scout camping trip about 1970. Yum.

same here, my 2 son's troop, the scouts all horsed around cooking and making some sort of glop, the adults where totally focused on dutch oven cobbler and chicken, that was probably the highlight of those camp outs, come to think of it, the dutch oven cooking was the ONLY thing I remember, lol!

I use my old Dutch oven all the time when camping!  It's second only to my grandmother's old (way older than I!) big sheet steel skillet. 

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I absolutely love my Dutch oven! Some cut up meat, veggies, garlic, a b, and a bottle of white wine. Make a dough of flour and water and use it to seal the lid, cover with coals and let cook for 2-3 hours...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

I LOVE my cast iron dutch-ovens.  I've done lasagna, enchiladas, meatloaf, beef & veggie stew, baked spaghetti, chicken & dumplings, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, fruit cobblers, breakfast casseroles, chili & cornbread, mac & cheese.  I just discovered a new pulled-pork recipe to try, and how to make fresh popped popcorn.  Now you have my mind churning on how to make nachos!

@JeffPPeters  Holy cow! I bow to your dutch oven greatness!

0 Likes