cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Donations of used camping gear to support getting kids outside.

Does anyone know of organizations that take used camping gear and use it for taking kids groups out on camping trips?

Scouting groups are taken care of, I’m thinking about groups that serve kids of lesser means.

Thanks for any suggestions.

3 Replies

That's a tough one, but a worthwhile endeavor.  Many thrift stores will take the gear, but to actually use it instead of reselling it you would need to contact local summer camps, churches, boys/girls clubs, or adventure clubs.  REI will also give you credit for some used gear under certain circumstances.  https://www.rei.com/used/trade-it-in 

Good luck!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

not all scouts are 'taken care of', in some of the troops I've worked with, quite a few of the kids were in tough spots financially and could not afford camping equipment...note: scouts are supposed to be getting away from large group camping scenarios (single kitchen set ups) and more into backpacking (individual or patrol size cooking, but w backpacking stoves & eqmt) whether they do or don't really depends upon the parents willingness or ability to cooperate.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Thank you.  I will go onto the scouting group websites then and try to find out who needs help. In our immediate area, the scouts are well outfitted.

0 Likes