cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Did I Bork My Mess Kit?!

I have an Open Country 2-person aluminum mess kit that I use mainly just to eat from (not cook in) on camping trips. I just got back from an overnight and noticed some orange spots that looked like they might be rust, so I took the rough green side of a sponge to it. The specs of the kit says there’s no non-stick coating, but the sponge definitely removed Something. The kit has a slick feel to it like a seasoned pan, but where I scrubbed, the slick feel is gone. No big deal, I just seasoned it with a bit of canola oil, but I noticed the paper towel turned gray. Did I remove some finish coating? Is there a way to repair it? Or should I stop using this for food?

Labels (3)
0 Likes
6 Replies

Aluminum doesn't rust,not ever.....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Cool. Any helpful ideas about why the finish is now different or why grey powder rubs off of it? And whether or not it’s still safe to use for food?

0 Likes

Check with the manufacturer.  They should know about coatings that  might have been applied...

0 Likes

I’ve actually been trying to do this, but to no avail. I can’t seem to find any contact info for Open Country, not even a website. The product is no longer available on REI either. If you or anyone else knows how to reach Open Country that would be most helpful. Google hasn’t revealed anything yet. 

0 Likes

Update

So I finally found out via Reddit post that Open Country discontinued all of their camping cookware products back in 2016. And since their website has been under construction ever since, I assume they’re defunct. Oh well. Some questions never get answered I guess. 

0 Likes

One little tidbit of info that might b helpful.  I used for many years an Army surplus Mountain Cook Set that was just plain aluminum- definitely no coating.  I understand there may be significant effects from using uncoated aluminum utensils on a daily basis, but at least for intermittent use - no problem.

0 Likes