cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Cleaning Wipes for Camping Gear?

Hey there! I recently went to an event at a mostly-abandoned military facility (it was sanctioned, no trespassing!) and needless to say I'm worried about asbestos and other common chemicals found on bases (I'm probably going to get mesothelioma from my past life) and was wondering if there's a brand of wipes out there that's good for cleaning camping equipment and is good at removing lead/asbestos/other chemical particulate as well as just simple dust.

0 Likes
3 Replies

I don't have a direct answerto your questions, but this may get you started  https://www.osha.gov/asbestos/hazards

If you are concerned aout camping gear found on a military base, i would have to wonder if the money saved is worth the risk.  Some military surplus works quite well, but a fair amount is heavy and unsuited for most civilian activities.  I am a veteran and I ought to know!!

I doubt that there is any magic eraser that will rid gear of asbestos fibers...not certain about lead issues, but I wouldn't bet on it.....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

You may find wipes to address lead at a good gun store. Or, try Cabelas. 

Spoiler
Such wipes exist and should be used after handling any ammunition.
0 Likes

Wash it. Or not. It isnt like you were forced to live in ships where asbestos was loose and falling off for years as you were blowing it back on in the hold. As long as its sealed, its good to go. If it isnt sealed, and you leave it alone, you are good to go. The amount you would get on your pack isnt even going to cause a problem in Cali lab rats who seen to succumb to all ailments.

Soap and water take off lead dust. Again, if you ate a sandwich, you will be OK.

0 Likes