cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Best sleeping pad for car camp that is on sale right now

We are tent camping, we have oversized cots but need a quality and comfortable pads to use on said cots.  We would like to select a pad from what is on sale this month at REI unless a non sale pad is a significantly better solution.  Thanks

0 Likes
6 Replies

Hey there @Don1!

Thanks for asking for our advice here in the Community!

Your sleeping pad is definitely an important component of your overall sleep system.  If you haven't taken a look at our expert advice article on selecting the right pad, I'd highly recommend it!  With your preferences and needs clearly in mind, you can make the best decision.

I will say that with our upcoming Anniversary Sale, you will have some stellar options available to you.  Here is a preview of what to expect!  I don't think you can go wrong with an Exped mat and I have personally had some of my best night's sleep on a REI Camp Dreamer.  Both of these will be available at a discounted price for our sale.

Also, don't forget that REI Members also have a few 20% off coupons, one of which would be available for use on a full-priced pad.

I hope this conversation has been helpful and you snag a great deal! 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@REI-AlyS The challenge for us is not being able to try out the options before we buy as the stores are still not open in our area.  The Camp Dreamer does not have any REI customer reviews to date so that makes it difficult to consider that model.  Maybe I can find reviews on the web.

0 Likes

@Don1

I can appreciate the challenge that comes from not being able to sample the product in store! Reviews can certainly be a helpful tool.

If you are grappling between a few different options and have more specific questions, we would love to help as best possible virtually!

Also, don’t forget that we are going to stand behind everything we sell with our Satisfaction Guarantee!

0 Likes

The cot is 31x78 by the way and just Cotten base no springs

if choosing between the 2 below can you help with pro vs con.  Pricing is close enough because exped has a larger discount so cost about the same.

Exped mega at 10 regular wide

REI CAMP DREAMER XL

I am 6’ 185 and mostly sleep on my back.

0 Likes

Thanks for the follow up @Don1!

Thinking about the two choices you mentioned, they are very similar.  For me the biggest difference here is going to be weight of the item.  This isn't necessarily a big deal with the style of camping that you are doing but I think it is worth mentioning that the Camp Dreamer XL is heavier and doesn't pack down quite as small.

They are both very close in thickness and both inflate in a similar way with included pumps to top it off for desired firmness.  I am heavier than you and have slept on both of these very comfortably without the fear of bottoming out. 

You can't go wrong here!

@Don1 we totally understand wanting to try something out first and we're sorry this isn't an option at this time.

In addition to @REI-AlyS's suggestions of the Camp Dreamer, you might also consider something a bit thinner since you're placing the pad on top of a cot. The REI Co-op Trekker is a self-inflating pad, 1.75" thick (may be just enough extra padding), r-value 5.6 (warm) and available in several sizes that will likely fit your cots. If you want a little thicker, you could consider the REI Co-op Camp Bed

Let us know if you'd like more suggestions or can answer other questions!

0 Likes