cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Best campfire secrets

I've been working on perfecting my campfire method for a while now.  Teepee vs. log cabin, different types of starters...I've been trying it all!  I've found that dryer lint as my starter works really well.  And the best part is that it's free!  

What's your secret to the best campfire? 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Labels (1)
11 Replies

Apparently, cotton balls are more reliable than dryer lint. https://youtu.be/ClpWjEzYntg

A common survival legend is that dryer lint is a reliable firestarter. Well, sometimes it is. Maybe. It all depends on what fabrics were in the dryer load, a...
0 Likes

agree with @aggieplanner , I'm loving the 'bellows' tool!  I'm currently using the shaft of an old golf club.

(A&M '78),

that said, the best is when you get ALL the members of your group to go get firewood (DRY DEADFALL!) NO CUTTING! LNT! (except your campfire ring, I know, it's a little incongruous)

If it's raining or has recently rained, use birchbark and/or peel off chunks of loose bark on large oaks, etc..to get a longer lasting natural firestarter. Further, try to get twigs that are not laying on the wet ground, which make an AUDIBLE 'snap' when broken.  Your Welcome!

REI member since 1979

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes