cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

Re: Backpacking cookset compatible with an induction stove

Hi there, Does REI carry a backpacker cookset that will also work with the induction stove in my camper (it would need to be magnetic)?

0 Likes
3 Replies

I'm not an REI employee (obviously) so I hope it's okay to answer this.

I bought an induction converter plate for around $15 so that I didn't have to buy a new cookset just to be able to use my induction burner. 

It's not as efficient as having a proper pot but it's not far off of it, either. I am happy with the $15 expense and think it was worth it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Hi @JohnCrow - Thanks so much for bringing this question to the community! Like @Dad_Aint_Hip said, a converter plate is a great option. With one of those in your camper, you would be able to use any backpacking cookset.

None of the stainless steel or titanium sets we offer have strong magnetic pulls on the bottom, meaning they won't work with your induction stove. If you aren’t concerned with weight, a mini cast iron would work, but otherwise a converter plate is the way to go. Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@REI-CarterC @Dad_Aint_Hip  Thanks all! I did purchase a GSI Stainless 1 person Mess Kit as per advice of an REIer.  I was concerned at first as it didn’t have much of a magnetic pull, but it did boil water pretty quickly on my induction stove which is exactly what I needed.