cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Any recommendations for a tent able to withstand thunderstorms and high winds?

Hi! What’s a good tent for withstanding Florida’s afternoon thunderstorms with winds of 30-40 mph? Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
10 Replies

One of the dome shaped tents are really good at shrugging off the rain and winds.  My first "real" tend was the REI dome, back in the early 80's.  It could handle anything the planet tossed at it!  It hasn't been made for a long time, though.  Imagine half an egg, standing on end.  It was considered a three-person tent, which made it great for two and gear.  Anything similar should serve you very well.

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Thanks! I’m 6’3. Should I get like Wawona 6 or Sequoia 4? Or a smaller dome where I’d have to stoop to get in?

0 Likes

Just noticed you specified thunderstorms - no tent is safe in a thunderstorm.  Get inside a dwelling or vehicle and e very careful.

0 Likes

I just wanted to take a moment to say: as important it is to select a good tent for a wind it is probably more important to make sure your tent is staked securely with guylines if you have wind. Your biggest worry is folding a tent pole. A folded tent pole can end your night of sleeping.

♥️♥️

My vote goes to the North Face VE25.  Slept in one on Denali, withstood 80mph winds just fine.  We were sheltered behind a snow wall and at 14,000 feet probably not as much force as lower down.  later i purchased four VE25 (from REI, of course) for field work on Santa Rosa Island, Channel Islands National Park.  A very windy place with winds routinely reaching 40-45.  We reach 60 mph on several occasions.  All lasted just fine for 4 seasons (3 months each) field work.  The flys were showing some UV damage by then.  That was the only problem.  On Denali, we were three in the tent - quite adequate and comfy.  On Santa Rosa, each crew had his own VE25 - luxurious!

This was back in 1987 (Denali) and 90-93 (Island).  The tent is still offered today, which tells you something...

Can you tell I like VE25s a lot?

That ve25 is the bomb. I've seen it on a gear testing backpacking trip. I sold a few of them at a mountaineering shop I worked at in South Lake Tahoe. It would be too hot for Florida or anything not cold.

I have a Sierra Designs Lookout that I use in challenging weather conditions. I have had it since 1993. It's convertible from Winter to three season. I have used it in snow a couple of times and also once at the Racetrack in Death Valley in November, which might have been my coldest night sleeping in that tent ever. Water bottles froze solid inside the tent. No wind. We both had two sleeping bags on. My partner said Death Valley is the coldest National Park in the world.

The reason I mention it is the tents that are designed for extreme wind are usually best in cold conditions. It can be difficult to find a tent that is set up for high winds that has enough netting to keep you from getting too hot. Something to think about.

i used the VE 25 on Santa Rosa Island in fairly warm conditions and it was just fine.  Its main asset ws its ability to withstand the islands ferocious winds.  I also used oen of the VE 25s in 1994 on a prolonged paleontological dig 9the first complete pygmy mammoth ever found) on the island in August.  It was a nice refuge from the sun and wind and it worked quite well.  My two year old daughter spent a lot of time in the tent, no problems whatever.

The tent is nylon fabric like many other tents.  Wht about its construction makes it unusually warm.  The only possible drawback I see for the VE 25 is that it is quite heavy for my usual style of backpacking.

Hey, I would recommend you research different brands and see if they have rated or tested their tents under certain conditions. For example, the brand Hillberg (https://hilleberg.com/eng/) does a great job of breaking down their tent specifications. If you can't find anything, I would suggest getting a four season tent because it has likely been tested to sustain heavier loads on its structure.

Good luck!

0 Likes