cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Advice on a long men's sleeping bag with #8 zipper

Hello,

I'm looking for a men's long, left-zip, down sleeping bag rated for around 15 degrees. I would like one that is compatible with my wife's sleeping bag which has a YKK #8 zipper, but zipper gauge is rarely listed on the specs. Can you point me to some that meet these conditions?

Thanks.

0 Likes
3 Replies

@se thanks for reaching out with this question - it's a tricky one! As you've noticed, it is difficult to identify the specific gauge on a zipper online - this will be difficult for us as well here in the community. So, we will need a little more information before we can make any helpful recommendations:

• Is your wife's current sleeping bag a brand that we carry at REI? Often, although not always, purchasing within the same brand will equate to compatible zippers.
  • Do you have a preference between a synthetic or down-filled bag? Will you be camping and/or backpacking? Does the weight/bulk matter?

We'll look forward to hearing back from you with that additional information so we can provide a few specific recommendations. With that said, we may not be able to guarantee a compatible zipper.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Phew. I forgot to reply, sorry.

She has an older Big Agnes bag although I tried buying a new Big Agnes bag and found the zipper was different. I'm looking for an extra long down bag that's reasonably lightweight and packable for backpacking and bike touring.

0 Likes

@se thanks for getting back to us! It's going to be difficult for us to provide specific sleeping bag suggestions that will have a compatible zipper to your wife's bag. Likely your best bet to test zipper compatibility will be to head to your local REI store with your wife's bag and start testing!

With that said, we wanted to provide a few specific bags you might consider for the parameters you mention above (minus the zipper compatibility) - one question: you mention wanting "extra long." How tall are you/how long do you want the bag to be?

We apologize that we aren't better able to help with zipper compatibility over the internet but hope these options are helpful!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes