cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

A Serious (?) Hazard!!

Just purchased a hank of SOL cordage with fire starting capability and read the following on the label
"The combustion of wood, charcoal, and other fuels can expose you to chemicals including carbon monoxide and soot which are known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm"

Thank goodness Cal is looking out for us! How would we ever know otherwise??

Prop 65 warning have long ceased to have any practical value. I expect to see a warning label on my next carton of ice cream.....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
11 Replies

Problem is the CA regulations hurt the supply chain for everyone since the mass retailers don't want to have to sell certain products in some states (there are actually 7 states that have similar requirements).

Then there is the lack of transparency issue which makes it even harder to know what you are buying as a consumer.

0 Likes

I understand the need for transparency - but also the average person should know that burning things releases chemicals- that's basic science.

It is a shame that California can delay and raise the cost of products for the rest of us.