cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Hyalite Canyon Camping/Backpacking/Hiking

Hi,

I am looking to plan a big trip to southwestern Montana this summer. I am planning on camping at Hyalite Canyon and was wondering if anybody had ever done this? What advice would anyone be willing to share on places to camp/hike and what to expect? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nathan

0 Likes
2 Replies

Hi @Nathan1 - I camped and hiked in Hyalite canyon a few years ago, and it was absolutely wonderful. It's a very popular area, so depending on when you go, you may have trouble finding an open camping spot unless you make reservations ahead of time on Recreation.gov 

I also highly recommend hiking to Hyalite Peak, although please be aware of frequent Grizzly Bear activity (including at your camp site), and afternoon thunderstorms in the summer. It is a long hike, so bring plenty of water, snacks and layers.

There's tons to do in that neck of the woods, including trips to Yellowstone, soaking in hot springs, some of the best fly fishing in the world, etc. You can also stop by the Bozeman REI for their recommendations too!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hyalite is best later in the summer. I have camped there a few times in a tent and car camping. Best to secure a campsite now. 
I just saw a rig last weekend while camping where the person had a canopy tent over their camping tent. Great idea for afternoon showers. Plan for everything to get wet. 

There are only vault toilets in Hyalite. 
You won’t get cell phone service in the canyon either.

The hikes are enjoyable. By going later in the year the creek beds will be lower and you are less likely to encounter snow.

Be prepared for summer bugs and have bear spray.

Make sure you head into Bozeman for a stop at REI and a pizza.

Have an enjoyable trip!

0 Likes
Join the community
Other boards in this category