cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Show us your bikepacking rig!

There are two seasons of the year: 1) bikepacking season and 2) bikepacking planning season. A corollary being that it is always time to be thinking about your bike and the trail. So let's see your bikepacking rigs and how you have them set up! 

bikepackingrig.jpg

Pardon my rudimentary 'editing' skills on this photo (sorry @REI-CarterC!) but I'm particularly interested in how you all pack your bike for the most effective weight dispersement, balance, and maximum carrying capacity. I am dreaming of some longer rides but am struggling to know where I would put all the food needed to sustain trips longer than a few nights. I'm not opposed to also carrying a pack on my back, however, I currently have my system dialed to either not needing one or using my sweet fanny pack.

Let's see some bikes!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
22 Replies

@Rob6 

You and @HankG need to do this route. I'm sure you could start tomorrow and be back home by the weekend to beat the crowds!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Very cool route, thanks for sharing!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Oh heck YEAH!!!  I would definitely be down for that!  It looks awesome, and right up my alley!  Mostly rail-trails and similar.  If I decide to try more than section rides, I'll have to hit you up @REI-JohnJ for some bike-packing tutelage.

06549CE8-881A-4DD1-8341-9F3538676198.jpeg

73420CCB-FE2F-49A0-A768-E96E000C30FC.jpegHere is my surly straggler, built it specifically for touring/packing 2 weeks ago, since then I have put over 200miles on it and currently back on the c&o for 4 days testing out my new REI panniers!

Nice!

what kind of handlebars and what are the tire dimensions?

thanks!

Hank

Surly terminals with ergo grips, life saver for long rides.

tires are wtb ventures 700c ?42’s? If I remember correctly 

0 Likes

Thanks I’m going to check out those handlebars. Have you ever had a chance to compare to Jones bars?

all the best

Hank

Nope, I initial was going to get the surly bars that look like Jones bars. But I couldn’t find them in stock anywhere

0 Likes

haven't gotten a setup yet but have some family looking to do some bike packing, your setup looks awesome!

So... Finally had the maiden voyage on the bikepacker I built. It was a 4 day, 3 night 160 miler from Ithaca to Watkins Glen to Keuka Lake to Sampson State park and back to Ithaca. Great trip and everything worked great! We did have some rain on day 3 but it was all part of the adventure. In the photos (my editing skills are very limited so I will just describe) on the drive side front pannier I had sleep gear (camp quilt and sleeping pad) Drive side rear pannier I packed clothes and off-bike shoes. Non-drive side front bag held cooking and comfort (camp chair, JetBoil & spare fuel, cup, and pillow). Non-drive side rear bag held toiletries, solar panel, and a hammock. Frame bag held hydration system and food. Trunk bag carried tool kit, first aid kit, rain gear, gloves, and head sweats. I also had 2 feed bags for extra water bottle, cell phone, and road snacks. My tent mounted to the handlebars. Including the weight of the bike, I was at 85 pounds (the Surly weighs about 32). So, 53 pounds of gear. Not bad really. LHT Non-drive side.jpgLHT Drive side.jpgPannier Contents.jpg